• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate in MMA

DSKarate

Hey guys I'm new in this page, my topic is about what you think of my plans, I'm 14 years old and I practice karate style Goju-ryu in the ken shin kan school, my plan is training karate until I get to 3rd Dan, then I will practice mma and train in bjj. After that I will get into cage fights and try to get to the ufc. I know it looks like an impossible dream, but I want to hear your comments.

The ultimate aim of the art of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum! While those goals aren't necessarily impossible, I think they are a little too specific, and you will probably change your goals as you get older. You may get tired of karate before Sandan, or you may reach Sandan and decide you want to stick with karate for the rest of your life. You may try out MMA/BJJ and decide you actually hate it, or you may like the training but hate actually fighting.

All that said, I think that if your ultimate goal is to compete in MMA at a high level, you would be better served by starting your MMA training now. I love karate, and it's a fantastic martial art, but it really isn't geared toward MMA competition.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Hi DSKarate, welcome to the forum.

You have an ambitious plan there, but why not? I started Goju Ryu when I was 13 and when I finally got my 3rd Dan (Sandan), I actually trained in BJJ (for half a year or so). Although I never got into cage fighting, I enjoyed all the martial arts training a lot (I am still at it years later). So in my opinion your plan is very good, even if you decide to change it later.

On the other hand, if you are really interested in MMA, why don't you try it out sooner? It should be quite OK to cross train after your 1st Dan.

And, besides Karate, don't forget about school, right? I don't want to sound boring, but it might be important later on. Nowadays, my job allows me to have my own Dojo, and I enjoy that a lot!

Whatever you do, keep at it, and all the best.

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

I started training when I was 14, that was 26 years ago. I have trained in several styles, Karate being my favorite. I was never a sport fighter, Kata is my focus. I study good Bunkai with my present Sensei and I enjoy it very much. Good luck on your quest for MMA fame, it all starts with that dream and the resolve to stick with it.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I agree that perhaps finding an MMA gym may help expedite your goals, if MMA competition is your goal. If you find a good gym, you will have coaches at your disposal to teach all aspects of MMA competition, accelerating your learning curve. Doing Karate and then BJJ will be taking the long way around, and the younger you are when you get into MMA competition, then the longer your career can be.

With that said, if Karate and BJJ are your desires, then go with them, and best of luck in whatever path you take. :karate:

Welcome to KF, as well. :)

By the way, I am an orange belt in my dojo.

The ultimate aim of the art of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants.

Welcome to the boards. Secondly why wait to begin your MMA training? Think of it this way. If you start training now you'll have a good three to three and a half years of training before you can legally step into that cage. Your goals aren't unrealistic. I have a friend and training partner who is a pro MMA fighter for XFC. He got his start as a fighter by going to a BJJ class with another friend, he hung around for the MMA class afterword. He trained awhile and decided to try a fight and after his second ammy fight quit his job to become a pro MMA fighter. After five ammy fights he was on the radar of the XFC. He won his pro debut is impressive fashion and got a four fight deal. He has went 5-0 so far as a pro and just won the title in his weight class. So you can do what you set your mind to just find a good team and surround yourself with good people. It may take longer than my friends journey but you can get there. Work hard, believe in yourself, and never give up.

MMA has become its own art. I think it's best to train in an MMA gym at this point. Say you become a black belt in Goju and BJJ. What about transitions from one to another? What about Muy Thai and wrestling? There is so much involved with the sport that its best to train in an MMA gym. If this were 2000 your plan would be feasible, but the game has evolved beyond this style vs that style.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

I think your dream of competing high level MMA is perfectly realistic. Others have given you very good advice as far as the training aspect goes. But there is so much more to it than that. You should begin finding some good strength and conditioning coaches and someone who can give you solid nutritional advice. Those things will be of critical importance as you move forward. The earlier you start developing good habits in training, the better you will be.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."