• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin - test and grading

;-)

Post number 2!

I'm a 1st kyu, in Kyokushin, and after a break (work got in the way) I worked with any karate club that would allow me to train and (at least to me) was genuine.

My first ever grading took an hour or so, I was tested on:

Kata - taikyoku sono ichi

Kihon - a punch or two with a me geri and kin geri

Kumate - 2 fights

oh! and folding my gi!

After that each grading was harder, and without fail I had to show I still new what my past grades required of me.

Come my third grading I was tested on my fitness, so many push up, so many sit ups etc!

Come my 1st kyu, I was tested over 5-6 hours.

All kata to that point had to be demonstrated.

All Kihon I had performed in the past as well as the stuff for the grade I was trying to gain!

..and fight 10 people at 'knockdown'.

My break form kyokushin has meant I'm to retake 1st kyo, which I'm more than happy to do.

Makes me worthy of the rank, and not insult others just because I walked in back to a dojo and say this is me, so making a sham of all the other guys who have kept training , where I was 'away' for years.

However, and why I write this post;

Many, if not most of us work hard ,yet I came across (or rather they came to me) asking if I wanted to learn karate, and when I explained what I do, being immediately asked to take a class even a run dojo for them?

I turned them away polity, and did some research on them....I recall my sensei explaining such things as 'Wee con Yu' karate.

GKR?

Seriously

:kaioken:

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well i have unfortunately been in a Wee Kon Yu Karate school

but my father was a traditional Shotokan Karate Practitioners and he imediatly pulled me out of the class and started training me him self.

i was 9 and i preferred the WeeKonYu style a lot easier and my dad did train me for about a year at home traditionally (barefoot gravel kata training, makiwari training and conditioning)

after that year of hell he found a old sensei with a respectable school he singed me up and i rested with all the easy training and often asked the sensei "that's it?, no more?" he wold smile and say "don't worry your dad is traditional style i'm not".

when i met up with the WeeKonYu sensei he just said your school i no good mine is better, but i had first place medal and my friend had second and his son had third.

Know that you are a honest persona and that teaches good Karate, be proud of your self and i'm proud that you recognized and bad school and walking away from it.

• 5 weeks later...
..... i preferred the WeeKonYu style a lot easier ...

..... asked the sensei "that's it?, no more?" he wold smile and say "don't worry your dad is traditional style i'm not".

when i met up with the WeeKonYu sensei he just said your school i no good mine is better, but i had first place medal and my friend had second and his son had third.

Know that you are a honest persona and that teaches good Karate, be proud of your self and i'm proud that you recognized and bad school and walking away from it.

Sorry been rude and completely not attentive to your reply.

Easier. is far to often the thing we (anyone that is) seek, when it comes to martial arts its so alien so not like anything we have ever seen before...well is this correct or not?

Its only when we experience another school (dojo) that we see and learn more and begin to make our way in the arts.

Any art, even the 'wee con yu' arts will be whatever the student makes of them.

As many students of the arts will tell you the more you put in should mean you get as much or more out of it!

There is a dojo (as I indicate in my first post) near me, I've no interest at all in visiting them for any reason.

I was made aware of a person who accepted the opportunity to learn from them (as a new student) and sadly after paying good hard cash first they were allowed to sit at the side and watch a few lessons, then join the line and learn.

They came to me one day, no special reason , just visiting all excited and full of beans, told me what they had done !

I took them to my dojo, introduced them to sensei....

....and I quote " in three lessons I have learn more then I did in a month with them!"

How do such people get off ripping off the innocent?

I agree, yet selling belts with monthly promotions is just not karate. . . . .

i wold rather have a BJJ belt ranking system than a karate ranking system.

if you dont know its a year of white belt and even more or the other belts that way you will be a real white belt and you will grow as a martial artist.

i wold rather have a BJJ belt ranking system than a karate ranking system..

...and why not?

It works for you so you should!

However, as you say "selling belts monthly promotion" I see no positive here.

We work hard, we achieve what we set out to do.....we pay for all of this with blood sweat hard wok aches pain .... Hmmm this is the right way for me!

(Maybe I'm nuts but that is me)