• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For those who train and/or teach BJJ, what other styles of the MA round out your MA training?

I ask this because not one, imho, MA can cover and/or handle each and every situation that one might encounter on the street.

In advance...I thank you for your posts!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've trained a few things prior to doing BJJ. A couple forms of kempo being the most time in. It's complimented by jits very well. Just about anything that focuses on stand up is a good match. That said, things like MT and boxing might suit it better just due to the more complimentary training methodologies used.

As far as post BJJ work, I have spent most of my time since taking it up focused on the ground. That said, I've started dabbling in FMA's (mainly knife application) via privates and semi privates. That's probably where I'll spend non-BJJ MA time I spend in the near future.

All my martial arts experience prior to training BJJ was traditional karate. I train nd teach a hydrid style of Kenpo as well as training BJJ. At the school were I trained up till my Shodan and now teach at always had ground training requirements. The thing was none of the past instructors had really trained in a ground fighting style, they had just picked up bits and pieces here and there. So up until I started training at a BJJ school we just past down what and how we were taught. Myself and the now head instructor wrestled in high school about 100 years ago. But since formally training in a grappling art I have retooled the entire ground system of my school by teach proper and easier methods of some techniques for example breaking and passing the guard.

BJJ is a great complement to my standup style. I never hurts that I've got a friend that's a professional MMA fight that's very knowledgable in all aspects of the game and will show and help me with anything that I ask of him. Also my BJJ coach is a retired pro fighter and he like wise will give advice when I ask him. So I have some very valuable tools at my disposal.

I would like to learn some more judo to even further and runs out my game.

On the flip side, I'm finding that the small amount of BJJ that I've gotten to do is really coming in as a filler for my lack of grappling training. I also think that the stuff I've down with Hapkido will really lend itself to helping me when it comes to getting into those grappling situations.

So far I'm seeing that each of you do not depend on ONE MA, but rather, many to complete your MA arsenal.

In that, I concur. Shindokan has tons of grappling and the like, and in that, our brand of grappling can hold its own againt the staples of grappling arts that are quite popular today, but looking at Shindokan as a whole, it still needs bits and pieces from other styles of the MA because no style has everything, therefore, not every practitioner has everything.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

<----- You can see my other styles in my signature.

That said, BJJ has a ton of standing techniques a well. Punches, elbow strikes, and kicks. So, when taught properly, it's as complete as any other single system. To that end, I don't feel a BJJ practitioner needs alot of extra arts.

Of course it's a different story if we're talking about a sport MMA match. Certainly you need to be well versed in several modes of combat for that.

But for general self defense, BJJ is plenty broad and deep when properly taught. The problem is, due to how fun it is, people usually only focus on the ground grappling GAME. That alone is certainly not enough.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• 2 weeks later...

I predominantly train Kyokushin, but have Isa grade (1st dan equivalent) in Arnis, as well as a Brown Belt in Judo.

I know its not BJJ, but Judo is much the same I believe.

I can say, that while Kyokushin is my passion, the grappling/trapping and takedowns have assisted greatly in interpreting grappling contained in Kyokushin (yes, there is actually a lot of grappling/takedowns in Kyokushin!)

Smash and grab, smash and grab.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 1 month later...

My 3 cents - I basically did 1 style for many many years ( Hakka Praying Mantis ) - I dabbled in Chinese Wrestling with a very good friend - but at my age and not making grappling my main focus - I'm not going to out grapple - a MMA-BJJ-Wrestler -or Judo expert. I've also learned kali with a very good friend - I was looking for the best way to deal with a knife attack - what I found out - a person with a knife - me without a weapon - not good for me. But the Kali training does make one aware of certain things. I'm primarily a striker - If a student is looking for something else - I have no problem referring them to someone else. One of my students is 29 years old with about 15 years MA experience - a brown belt in BJJ - Black belt in karate - Boxing ......he also trains in MMA and competes - He was referred to me - I did not think he was going to last - In the year and a half he's been with me he's missed only 2 classes - It made me proud when about a couple of months ago he came to class and informed me that he was giving fits to the sparring partners at the Gym he trains at because of my training. He was able to empty his cup to learn and give it a try. No one style can cover all the basis.