• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A Testing That I've Never Wanted

I've been selected, against my repeated wishes, to test for my Kudan. It's something that I've never wanted and it's something that I've some deep mixed emotions about. I earned my Hachidan on July 1995. Is it overdue? Have I meet the tenure requirements? Ranks only a word, a word I'd rather to never utter so that it wouldn't ever be misunderstood, especially by myself.

I'll test this July 8-10, 2013 before a testing panel at the conclusion of our annual testing cycle at our Hombu.

Let the chips fall where they may!!

:wave:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's it matter? In BJJ, these promotions are mainly based on time. This is because, in the time between black belt degrees, it's impossible not to improve, if you're teaching regularly and training regularly. Since 1995, I'm sure you've learned alot. That's almost 20 years, afterall!

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I think you just don't like having reached the top. A rank that, throughout most of your career, you probably felt you'd never see.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Good points being made here, Bob. I know if and when you pass this test, the achievement of this rank will not change you as a person or instructor. Perhaps you are already there, and this is just icing on the cake?

Good luck, and I'm sure you will do the Shindokan proud.

I think you just don't like having reached the top. A rank that, throughout most of your career, you probably felt you'd never see.

I never wanted to reach "the top", rank speaking, and this is because while my Dai-Soke was alive, he was Kaicho and was Kudan. I didn't want to ever reach a rank that he had, as crazy as it sounds, it was an act of respect for him!! Still, when he became Dai-Soke and was awarded Judan, and then I became Kaicho, I still didn't and still don't want the rank because of a promise I made to myself those many years ago.

:)

Why's it matter? In BJJ, these promotions are mainly based on time. This is because, in the time between black belt degrees, it's impossible not to improve, if you're teaching regularly and training regularly. Since 1995, I'm sure you've learned alot. That's almost 20 years, afterall!

Well, in our By-Laws, Kudan and Judan are only awarded to the current Kaicho and current Soke type; we've eliminated the Soke type, but the Kaicho type rank is still in the By-Laws, and we haven't made any amendments as of yet because we're not in full agreement as to it's wording and the like.

Until, my upcoming test for Kudan, all ranks up to Hachidan are only awarded upon passing any and all required testing criteria.

Maybe someone who isn't chasing it deserves it?

Is there a reason why people in your organisation are pushing for it?

Our By-Laws require the current Kaicho [President] to be awarded the rank of Kudan. I'm the current Kaicho, and in our history, only my Dai-Soke and I have held the Kaicho title; my Dai-Soke held it for close to, if not over 40 years.

Good luck, Bob. :)

Thank you Patrick, as well as to those who've wished me luck.

Thank you all!!