• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GoJuRu Karate Sutdent - New to the boards!

Hello,

I'm a Yellow Belt, studying at the Kaizen Dojo [san Antonio TX]. I was wondering, as I have attained Black Belt in TaeKwonDo while in Italy, does anyone have any tips for GoJuRu, and is it similar to any other Karate arts?

Thank you very much,

-Benjamin

-----

The more you sweat, the less you bleed.

-----

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hello,

I'm a Yellow Belt, studying at the Kaizen Dojo [san Antonio TX]. I was wondering, as I have attained Black Belt in TaeKwonDo while in Italy, does anyone have any tips for GoJuRu, and is it similar to any other Karate arts?

Thank you very much,

-Benjamin

Welcome to the forum, Benjamin!

We actually have several Goju-Ryu practitioners here, and I'm sure that they will be able to answer your questions much more thoroughly than I can. I will say that Goju-Ryu is a great art that stems from Naha-te (fighting arts from Naha, Okinawa), while Taekwondo is based on Shotokan, which stems from Shuri-te (fighting arts from Shuri, Okinawa). In addition to their regional differences, their Chinese influences were quite varied, so while there are many common traits between them, they are also very different. Enjoy your training!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

This is true, also there are great variations within each martial art. It depends on the linage of your teacher and the way they were taught. Also their personal preferences to the way the Kata for example is applied. Please interpret the art the way you choose, I'm sure your Karate looks different to mine even though it has the same root.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Hello Benjamin and welcome to the forum. There are differences, but more of approach and feel than principle. Goju Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Uechi Ryu, Shito Ryu etc, all share principles. The difference is that Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu approach these principles through Sanchin. Sanchin is central to the 'feel' of Goju Ryu.

Edited by andym

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.