• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Proper length of belt?

I'm curious to know what everyone's thought on the proper length of a karate belt? Is it the belt hanging no lower than mid-thigh?

Also, over time the belt naturally lengthens as it gets worn out. What is typical? cotton or satin?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mid thigh is right for most belts, but it can vary depending on the one you are given. For me Cotton is better, it holds it knot more securely.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

The length is really up to personal preferences, organization guidelines, and competition rules. I personally like my belt to go down to mid-thigh, or an inch or two shorter, but I've seen people with belts that only come down about three inches from the knot, and people with belts that touch their knees. In some organizations, there is a guideline in place, but not in ours. In some competition formats, like WKF or judo competitions, there are limits on how long or short they can be.

With regard to the material, I would always go with cotton or hemp--the satin doesn't stay tied and flakes apart.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• 2 weeks later...
I'm curious to know what everyone's thought on the proper length of a karate belt? Is it the belt hanging no lower than mid-thigh?

Also, over time the belt naturally lengthens as it gets worn out. What is typical? cotton or satin?

I don't remember ever seeing a satin color belt, but there are both cotton and satin black belts, with cotton being much more popular. Cotton is more durable and less expensive than satin. I haven't heard about belts lengthening as they wear. I suppose some might stretch a little over time, but most people don't wear them that tight. It's more common for people to shrink belts in the wash.

I see you're Shotokan. It's been my experience that Japanese styles, such as Shotokan, tend to like their belts longer. Korean styles tend to do a lot more kicking and prefer their belts a little shorter so they don't flip up in their faces. Grappling styles like them the shortest, so they don't get tangled or caught under anyone. I've seen plenty of exceptions. These are just tendencies.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

Mid thigh.

I'm not a fan of it being to the knees, I don't like the belt smacking me in the face when I do kicks.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

hmm.... A belt that reaches to mid thigh is, to my mind the correct length.

A little calculation to help anyone is:

x 3.3 =

eg:

86 cm waist (34 inch) x 3.3 = 283 cm (A 280 belt!)

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

You want to see what can happen when your belt is too long!?! Put your belt on your kindergarden and watch them...it'll be about the same thing for you when you put on a belt that's way too long...funny only lasts so long.

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!