• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

...Chessboxing?!?!

Yes, that's what I said...Chessboxing!!

Chessboxing is for all ages, but for a championship fight, you must be younger than 35, have fought in more than 20 boxing matches and have a chess ELO rating higher than 1800. The last Chessboxing Championship wasn't won by a TKO, but with a Checkmate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing

Of course Las Vegas got into the ring with...you guessed it...Pokerboxing!!

http://ringsidereport.com/?p=28516

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 4 weeks later...

Haha, this is great.

I wonder how the chess game strategies decline after a few punishing boxing rounds!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm thinking that, as the chessmaster wins more matches, his game suffers from too many blows to the head. Oh sweet irony. :)

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

So how does this thing work? The player who makes a good move gets a shot?

Not quite. Even though...I do like your idea the best.

Here's a except from the first link from my OP...

Rules

How a chessboxing fight works

A chessboxing fight consists of 11 rounds, 6 rounds of chess and 5 rounds of boxing. Chess and boxing rounds alternate, beginning and ending with a round of chess. Each round lasts three minutes, regardless of whether it involves chess or boxing. The total amount of chess playing time is 18 minutes, making it 9 minutes each player. After each chess round, the exact setup is digitally recorded and then repositioned before the following chess round. The breaks in between the chess and boxing rounds usually last 60 seconds. The duration of the rounds and overall fight time in amateur chessboxing fights can change to some degree, as in for example youth tournaments and exhibition fights.

Decisions

In a chessboxing match, a competitor may win in regulation time by any of the following:

Knockout (boxing rounds)

Technical Knockout (boxing rounds)

Checkmate (chess rounds)

Exceeding of the time limit by the opponent (chess rounds)

Disqualification of his opponent by the referee e.g. due to inactivity due to overextended playing time (chess or boxing rounds following multiple warnings)

Opponent resigns (chess or boxing rounds)

In the case that neither of the chessboxers win in regulation time and the chess game ends in a draw, the fighter who is ahead on boxing points wins the chessboxing bout. In case the scoreboard is also tied, the fighter that used the black chess pieces will be named the winner. This has not yet occurred in practice.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!