• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Brother's Dispute! Should children spar?

My brother and I have a dispute. I think light sparring is a healthy and natural way to build young bodies. My brother is totally against sparring in any way. We have this argument all the time, and I was wondering if anyone wanted to shed some light.[/url]

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think it is fine as long as the correct controls are applied.

We allow kids to spar in class, but its light contact, no thigh kicks (or any kicks below the belt), and full pads/gear.

It gives them a chance to see how their techniques adn practice is paying off, as well as opportunities to guage distance adn timing that would not otherwise be available.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

We let youth students in our dojo spar with light contact and supervision. Not all students enjoy it, of course, but it does give them a fully interactive martial arts experience. There is some risk of injury, but with light contact and plenty of supervision it is less common (and they tend to be much less serious) than injuries in football. We've had a couple poked eyes, some stubbed toes, and a few tears when somebody gets hit too hard or while breathing in, but that's about it. I don't see how it's harmful.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'm happy to allow young students to not spar but think it's an important part of Karate and life, young lions will spar to learn, if you want to be an effective all round Karateka or MAist then you will need to put it to practice.

I must have punched the air a thousand times before I started hitting pads and realised my punch was useless. My boy's biggest lesson in Karate was getting punched in the stomach and winded - no good having that experience for the first time when you really need to defend yourself.

Light control helps to keep any impact to a minimum and also allows them to show control.

Without trying to be too insulting then maybe your brother should take up dance classes where he doesn't have to hit or be hit?

There would be nothing worse than training a young lad/girl up to Shodan but finding out they got beaten up because they couldn't apply their training properly when they really needed it.

I'm on the let them spar bandwagon. I think it starts developing tools early as long as it's properly done. It HAS to be playful at the younger ages. For that matter, I think that attitude needs to be applied more frequently as adults.

But yes, it's developmentally a good idea and it's fun for them. That leads to them wanting to do it more which translates to them trying harder all around.

He is so unbelievably against anyone growing actually sparring. It is infuriating and he thinks he knows everything. Of course he is older and has been studying martial arts longer. Naturally he thinks I know nothing and he knows everything.

"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence." -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle

He is so unbelievably against anyone growing actually sparring. It is infuriating and he thinks he knows everything. Of course he is older and has been studying martial arts longer. Naturally he thinks I know nothing and he knows everything.

Does he give a reason for being against kids who are still growing doing any sparring? If he can explain his reasoning, then that might clear up his point of view for us, and it might also give you something to look up that either supports or rejects his opinion. I know I'm not terribly fond of kids hitting makiwara while their bones are still growing, but that's more for their comfort (just the act of GROWING made my joints hurt as a kid--I can only imagine what hitting a makiwara would have done) than for their safety, as I don't know of any studies showing that it is dangerous.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'd be interested to hear his counter-arguments for kids sparring.

We start are kids off sparring from the beginning. First no contact then progressing them through to light and medium contact as they get a bit older and a bit more experienced. They learn hit and how to take a hit but it is very controlled. It's for the same reason that adults spar. It's all very well having them practicing kicks and punches in the air but that doesn't give them anymore self defense skill than dancing would.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

His reason is terrible and vague. He said its harmful to growing bodies. Idk what his deal is, but it is very frustrating. Every tournament has more kids than adults. :kaioken: