• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

2020 Olympics - no karate... but maybe wrestling

Today, the IOC cut the list of prospective sports for the 2020 Olympics. Karate is out. Still in the running are wrestling, baseball/softball, and squash.

For as long as I can remember, some group or other has been trying to get karate into the Olympics. The current leader in the movement is the World Karate Federation. The US branch of the WKF is the USA-NKF. In Japan, it's the JKF.

For several years or so, the WKF has been fine tuning its competition rules in an attempt to make them more Olympics friendly. They already run regional, national, and international events with a world championships every other year. They're all set up and ready go when or if the IOC gives their okay.

I'm sure the WKF will renew their efforts for the 2024 Olympics.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that a lot of people were pulling for Olympic karate, but I was not one of them. I'm quite happy that the IOC decided not to include it. Wrestling definitely needs to stay in the Olympics, though.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Too many politics and too many organisations thinking they represent Karate, all with their own rules.

That's my view from a small club looking up.

To me Sport Karate and Olympics Karate would be similar to knowing all about an amazing big weapon that can shoot bullets, fire rockets, fit a bayonet, attach radar, body heat sensors etc etc, but only showing people how to change the mag.

In one way I'm disappointed, in another relived that the politics of Karate Associations won't make the running of the event even more complicated.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I think it a cirrect call. Kata competitions would be silly and kumite needs to have better rules. It's not fair with current rules. More about what referees are looking at than what actually happened. (refeering to semicontact sports karate)

Until TKD gets tossed, I don't ever expect Karate to be added. Imagine trying to explain the difference to a casual spectator.

But squash made it? How popular is squash?

It's just first cut - wrestling, squash or baseball - one will be selected

I was pleased that karate did not get into the Olympics - the politics is to divisive and this may force changes. I also feel that karate would have been better pushing a knock-down format. That is different to TKD etc and a more realistic form of sparring. Plus, why were Kata not included ? Lastly, I hope wrestling is returned to it's rightful place within the Olympics. It should never have been threatened with removal.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Until TKD gets tossed, I don't ever expect Karate to be added. Imagine trying to explain the difference to a casual spectator.

But squash made it? How popular is squash?

I agree. To most TKD is no different from Karate.

FWIW squash is very popular in Britain and in Europe in general.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius