• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate stances

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can give me an advice, how do we choose in which stand to perform a technique (kick, block, punch or strike)? I know that blocks can be done in cat or back stance but we can do it also in front stance or sometimes in kiba dachi. There is also fudo dachi and sanchin dachi, can someone tell me what are the considerations to take when we choose an stance for punches, kicks, strikes or blocks?

Thank you very much in advance

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Think of stances as the most efficient way to deliver a technique, e.g. gedan barai against a frontal attack is strongest from zenkutsu dachi or a parry and counter attack combo like ude uke (front hand) and gyaku zuki (rear hand) may be most effective from fudo dachi. However, we should flow from one stance to another effortlessly as we initiate attacks or respond to attacks. We do not "choose" a stance, we use a stance that is most efcient for the present circumstance. Funakoshi said (I'm paraphrasing) that low stances (i.e. what we think of as formal stances) are for beginners, while high stances (like hachiji dachi or the natural position) are for experts - the expert can flow into and out of a more formal stance at will.

"Honour, not honours." ~ Sir Richard Francis Burton

http://oronokarate.weebly.com

Hello Newbie,

To really understand how stances relate to the techniques you are doing, you must understand WHAT the techniques are doing. Just because we call a movement "low block," for example, doesn't mean that is what it is always doing--movements can be used more than one way. A low block that is being used to deflect a kick is going to be used differently than a low block that is being used to apply an arm lock, which is going to be used differently than a low block being used as a takedown. Each one needs you to move your body weight a little differently.

Stances are simply methods of controlling your body weight (there are some other uses for them, but this is the primary one, in my opinion), and they are only snapshots in time. When you defend yourself, you may not get to take a stance, but when you apply your techniques you will have moments where you shift into and out of stances to make the techniques work. If you have to drive forward to make the technique work, then shifting into a front stance is great. If you need to shift backward to make a technique work, then a back stance is great. If you need to take your weight off your lead leg to kick, knee, or sweep with it, then a cat stance is great. If you need to drop your weight to grapple with someone, then shiko-dachi or kiba-dachi are great. It's all situational, and you really have to become accustomed to the feel of what your body weight needs to do, because you won't have the time (in real life) to choose what stance to use.

In other words, the more you train, the more things will make sense :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Stance is an important part of technique. It's not static, but dynamic - but often learning starts by "statue training".

I have a poor zenkutzudaschi. I realized it now when I am grappling. My hip is not in a correct position to carry weight if an opponent graps my upper body. (Jumps and pulls me down.)

I've adjusted my hip and now it's much stronger - also in punches.

So learn you stances and strengthen your body:-)

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can give me an advice, how do we choose in which stand to perform a technique (kick, block, punch or strike)? I know that blocks can be done in cat or back stance but we can do it also in front stance or sometimes in kiba dachi. There is also fudo dachi and sanchin dachi, can someone tell me what are the considerations to take when we choose an stance for punches, kicks, strikes or blocks?

Thank you very much in advance

Attack: front stance.

Defend: all other stance.

On guard: no stance. Stay mobile.

There is more to this of course. But you're in your beginning stage. So you want to keep it as simple as possible.

Stances are everything, however, without posture, stances are invalid. The 4 postures of most karate [front facing, side facing, half-front facing, reverse half-front facing] not only speak about defense, but offense as well.

I teach my students to not only ask what stances are the best for what attack/defense, but to also ask which posture should compliment the stance and vise versa.

Beyond asking your instructor, self-discovering makes us accountable for our training as well.

Hang in there!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have an example; when executing a back kick, you can fire the kick from yoi stance or front stance facing away from your target. In yoi stance the kick is not as effective as the front stance where the power is increased through the shape of the body and the physics of the kick. Energy is dissipated forward with more power. Dynamic strength and speed are generated and focused by choice of stance; the correct form gives a dramatic advantage and has a source that is not apparent to the untrained eye, the stance delivers the root for the power; the foundation for the whole execution of the technique.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I have an example; when executing a back kick, you can fire the kick from yoi stance or front stance facing away from your target. In yoi stance the kick is not as effective as the front stance where the power is increased through the shape of the body and the physics of the kick. Energy is dissipated forward with more power. Dynamic strength and speed are generated and focused by choice of stance; the correct form gives a dramatic advantage and has a source that is not apparent to the untrained eye, the stance delivers the root for the power; the foundation for the whole execution of the technique.

It's all about transitioning huh?!

:P

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Yes, the transfer of power; from the ground, through the legs, into the hips and spine. The whole physical process is rooted in the stance.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

For me, speaking from a self defense aspect of things, find a natural posture. One that looks a lot like your "flinch" response that keeps your weight even and feet under you to move. Knees bent athletically and shoulders slightly forward of your hips (or hips back slightly, whatever mental image works best for you). Hands and shoulders rolled up.

Now, start doing everything you can out of here. It's where you'll naturally go under unexpected stress and it built in thru years of evolution to serve us well in combat. You should be able to protect, drive, strike, present a weapon, retreat, and do anything else you might need to from there.

A natural posture, honed to efficiency is money when it's on.