• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

No blocks in Karate?

infinitehand

I am getting a feeling that some one sees a kata as a choreographed fight?

I've always seen it as a drill. If you block three times, it's because you need to do it on both sides - or it just goes better to the end position. (like to start and end at the same place).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my Opinion, each movement in Karate; be it a hand or arm movement, a body shift, a leg or foot movement or where you place your feet can all be used and utilized to your advantage. Whether you call it uke, uchi, geri, dachi, nage, barai or WHATEVER the whole ethos is to use them to gain advantage over an aggressor. Interpret, apply, focus away and call these components of Karatedo whatever you like.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

In my Opinion, each movement in Karate; be it a hand or arm movement, a body shift, a leg or foot movement or where you place your feet can all be used and utilized to your advantage. Whether you call it uke, uchi, geri, dachi, nage, barai or WHATEVER the whole ethos is to use them to gain advantage over an aggressor. Interpret, apply, focus away and call these components of Karatedo whatever you like.

I agree totally. Single movements or some times a useful compination, but not a logical fight just parts to practice movements and to compine movements.

I wouldn't read much as what the story of the fight is:)