• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hitting a Wall at Pre-Grade.

Harkon72

Thanks Mal, I'll do my best.

A Pre-Grade is a test that simulates the Grading for a new Belt. It is done a couple of weeks before to see if a student is ready to grade and if so, what they need to work on to make their grade attempt stronger.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was summoned to train tonight by my Sensei's brother, also a Shukokai 4th Dan.

He made me train the Back Kick to a free standing kick bag. Long story made short; by the end of the night, the base of the bag, filled with 30 stone of sand began to lift off the floor after contact with my Back Kick. I'm very pleased, and so lucky to be part of an association with top grade instructors.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Ushiro Geri:

Step 1: slide front foot sideways so that its on one line with the rear foot.

Step 2: hip rotation until in Zenkutsu Dachi facing 180° away from the target.

Step 3: push off the new "front" foot and kick with that heel of that foot like a mule. Don't bother to look, you will hit the target.

Do this step by step a couple of times (slowly against a target). Correct the distance so that you do not fully straighten your leg on impact. Then do it in one motion. Watch the Target take off and fly to the opposite Dojo wall :) . Hope this post comes in time and good luck with the grading.

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

Ushiro Geri:

My Sensei specifically tells us not to do that. You're telegraphing a spinning attack and against a good counter puncher you'll end up with a hole in your back.

Agreed. Step 1 is helpful for getting the kick powerful (initially). In sparring, step 1 will be omitted or hidden (Sports-Fans: through hopping back and forth; Non-Sport-Fans: through kisami technique). Oshiro Geri is more of a follow up technique in a combination as opposed to the one and only technique for me... (I'll never be that fast).

------------

Goju Ryu (Yushinkan since 1989), Shotokan (JKA since 2005)

Ushiro Geri:

My Sensei specifically tells us not to do that. You're telegraphing a spinning attack and against a good counter puncher you'll end up with a hole in your back.

We try to land in a narrow stance before the kick, in sparring this could also be picked up by a trained eye but if your are quick they are either being kicked or having to move out the way so are on the defensive.