• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hitting a Wall at Pre-Grade.

Harkon72

My Sensei held a Pre-Grade for my 4th Kyu test tonight. He asked me to perform Ushiro Geri to the air and then to a strike shield. To my great shame I couldn't do it. My stance was too deep, my timing was wrong, my head was too low, my focus was all over the place. This is the first time I have scored a fail in a Pre-Grade for Sensei Williams. I have two weeks before I grade and if I fail these two sections I will fail the Grade. I have produced Dan Grade class Ushiro Geris in the past, this time I felt heavy and disorientated. I must practice every day this week and next. Does anyone have any tips for me?

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

if your timing was off and head too low then perhaps try squating with weights.

Have someone teach you proper squating with weights and aim for 10-12 reps performing in them at a steady pace which willl help with your timing.

Hope that helps!

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

break the technique down into bits and drill those first, get them right and then put it back together.

Keep practicing but make sure you practice correctly, get advice first from your instructors/Sensei.

Practice by performing the turn then execute a mai geri before thrusting your leg backwards for the ushiro geri. That way you're ensuring you're upright before the the ushiro geri.

Part of this sounds like confidence.

if you have done the kick at dan level before, you can do it again, maybe you were just off your game, I have some nights where I feel like a clod and others where I am on top of things.

I would just train train train. Try to give yourself a rest day or 2 as well.

If your sensei didn't feel you were ready, trust me you wouldn't be in this situation.

Hes testing you because he KNOWS you can do it.

Good luck, though you may not need it

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Thank you, I will train some every day, break down the technique then put it together. My Sensei said that I can train another session each week from now on. He is confident that I can do it, as you say he wouldn't put me forward for grade otherwise. I have two weeks of training, I will do my best.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Sounds like you psyched yourself out. If you're normally good at the technique, the only reason to mess it up is that you thought too much.

My advice...

Stop it!

This video could help also:

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

What is a pre-grade?

But I agree with the replies here. Just practice. Just train. It's probably a mental thing. 90% of the battle is in the mind.

and I assure you, it wont be the last time. :)

"Karate is about digging deeper, not climbing higher."

We sometimes use pre grades, it can be used to point out to certain people that they are not ready (so don't ask for a grading form) or to ensure they are up to standard with everything.

It also acts as a sort of test to give others confidence they are ready to grade.

I'm sure in your case it was to help sharpen any techniques. Keep training hard and good luck.