• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What would you do if. . . .

OK here's the scenario, you win a gazillion bucks - enough that you could easily retire IMMEDIATELY

How much would you train

What arts

Can you give examples of a weeks MA training schedule.

I would stick with the goju, bjj, and aikido

each 2 possibly 3 times a week (dojo time) and what ever I could stand on my own.

I am eager to hear the opinions

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I would keep training with my instructor, but if I had that much money I would definitely be making a trip to Okinawa to train there. Arts outside of the one I'm doing would probably be Silat, Uechi-Ryu, and BJJ. Silat and Uechi-Ryu would really build on my karate, and BJJ would compliment my judo background. Outside of those, Northern Shaolin Long Fist looks fun, and if I can find someone who knows applications to the forms it would also compliment my karate.

I couldn't give you a weekly schedule, but I could say that I would be taking trips to Okinawa, Japan, and China to train every now and then throughout the rest of my life, and continue with my sensei but start to cross-train in BJJ, then after another few years I would probably try to focus on Silat for a few years while still cross-training in BJJ, and then do the same with Uechi-Ryu, and then do the same with Long Fist.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

OK here's the scenario, you win a gazillion bucks - enough that you could easily retire IMMEDIATELY

How much would you train

What arts

Can you give examples of a weeks MA training schedule.

I would stick with the goju, bjj, and aikido

each 2 possibly 3 times a week (dojo time) and what ever I could stand on my own.

I am eager to hear the opinions

hmmm.... good question.....at 40 years old I would LOVE to retire and travel a bit. First I would start with going through the states and Canada hitting up instructors like Koyama, Takashina and Nagatomo to train with in Karate. I Have always been facinated with BJJ and would also stop off to train with Renzo Gracie and a few of the Gracie Barra groups.

Then I would jump over to Japan and hang out at the JKA....and return often! As well I would "winter in Brazil" and hang out at Gracie Barra and a few other clubs to pick up some of the gentle art their.

Other than that perhaps a trip through europe to some of the JKA clubs their.

Nothing special however...just that :P

Even monkeys fall from trees

I'd probably keep training the way I am training-- 4 days a week. Even though I go to the cheap classes at the Boys and Girls Club and the town Rec Department, I'd probably keep with those. They're good classes with good teachers. I'd probably donate a lot to those programs, though, to make sure we all have state of the art everything and everyone can afford to go to clinics and competitions and whatnot. I might add in a morning class here or there in some really intense art like muay thai just for the exercise, or I might just join the local Crossfit gym for a morning workout.

I don't know how much time I'd have, though, after I opened my own amusement park. I'd be pretty busy.

Without having to move, I'd arrange my schedule to get my DT practice in twice a week with the Defensive Tactics club through our college here. The instructor there does lots of DT stuff mixed in with BJJ and Gracie Combatives. I'd also maintain my TKD schedule, and try to work in Aikido again. I'd also get back to Combat Hapkido.

I would still train with Sensei Williams, travel to train with Sensei Mallaliu in Manchester twice a week and train with Sensei O'Neill and Sensei Steven Rowe at least once a month. How I would fit it in I don't know, but a trip to Okinawa once a year would be on the cards too.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

i often feel like I am not spending enough time on the mat, The dojo fees are not cheap and I don't have the time or money to train at a different dojo. There simply isn't enough time to just mess with technique. I do Kata on my own and I am progressing well but i think it would be cool to take it at my own time.

Right now I train tues and thurs evening. I try to do kata every day on my own.

I wouldn't want to change that, I would simply pay to extend classes closer to 2 hours, maybe add in aikido earlier in the day, then a few low impact grappling sessions with a small group, one of the people being a pro, peppered throughout the week.

I would also make a small dojo in my house, tatami, mirrors, heavy bags, chishi, makiwara.

I too would go to Japan and travel the world (a suggestion i took from one of you guys) and train with some masters.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Travel would be must. I'd defiantly go full time on the training until I earned by BJJ black belt.

Freedom from work would mean I could finally fit in some other things. Iaido would finally go in, as would regular FMA time rather than the sporadic workshop/ seminar/ private plan I'm going on now.

At some point then, I'd look at my own place to occupy time.

I'd build the BIGGEST dojo stocked with EVERYTHING imaginable, both inside as well as outside.

OK...back to earth bob...back to earth...back to...back...

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!