• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Greetings!!

After a 35 year hiatus, I am going back to class.

My daughter started karate several months ago and loves it. She did it as a college class, the same way I did and at the same college, and is now going to a different school (same style) and I am going to start there in a few weeks.

Our style is AKS, or American Karate System. It was founded by Ernie Lieb in 1973. Mr. Lieb was my instructor in the mid seventies. Sadly, he was killed in a maglev train crash in Germany in 2006.

I have been working on getting back in shape. A friend of mine got me skipping rope. He can do 100's of cross overs without missing. He is 78. Let me tell you, skipping rope is a real quick way to get your pulse rate up!!!

One cool thing about the class I am going to be attending is mostly parent / child groups. One family has three generations at that school. Last night a mother and her daughter got their 8th kyu yellow belts together.

I am also an amateur radio operator. So is my daughter.

By trade I am a licensed electrician.

I belong to forums for both of the above interests and thought I should do the same for karate.

Thank you all for your hospitality.

Mark

Does your brain control your body, or does your body control your brain?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to the martial arts!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society