• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Retreating Whilst Sparring

We aren't all natural born fighting machines so don't worry about that.

Maybe train all ways but keep that method as your favourite?

If you are doing this for fun or just learning a MA then that is also fine, if you are looking for self defence then think chaos, the Dojo is very much controlled.

If you end up being confronted elsewhere then think about running, attacking/controlling - or what their mates are doing.

Most of all enjoy training, I like it when your training partners think they are getting used to your tactics and common moves and then you change tact on them. :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back is out. You have more options than forward: You have lateral left, tangent left, lateral right, and tangental right. None of those are the bulldog charge you seem to be expressing a concern about.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Background: I weigh 135lbs, am nerdy and 'allergic' to getting hurt. I also have a bit of a cowardly streak (I call it 'coward reflexes'). So obviously my sparring tactic of choice is to retreat, dodge, dodge, dodge, block here and there and explore openings. It works for me, at least in the context of a class. I'm surprised when this (to me) no-brainer tactic catches green belts out and allows me to score a hit.

With that said, my sabumnim recently instated a rule that we cannot retreat while sparring anymore, and told me it was SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF ME. So yeah, now I have to throw myself into danger each time. Me no likey.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you approach sparring? My reasoning is, in a real street fight, I'd most likely be up against someone bigger than me and about 50% heavier, so I wouldn't be throwing myself into their attacks. I'd wait for an opening (probably after they throw a haymaker) and go in for the hit, which is something we do learn in sparring sessions.

Retreating while sparring is quite common, and it happens with all ranks, not just beginners and/or intermediate students, as well as advanced students, however, advanced students do it on purpose.

I believe that your sabumnim is trying to teach you to find other ways to engage/disengage without retreating directly backwards. Angling to the side and/or towards the front is most preferred because those angles helps us set up and/or discover openings that would be missed while retreating directly backwards.

Having said that, there's nothing greatly wrong about that tactic/plan except it's not preferred by any instructor UNLESS that's either the only place to retreat or your baiting them to advance into your zone, in which, heheheheeee, opportunities abound when you set them up.

Now, if your retreating in such a way that you're creating opportunities for your opponent, well, that can only lead down a dangerous path and you'll get hit in such a way that you'll wish you tried a different tactic.

Again, continue to spar per your instructors desires because I believe that he/she is trying to help you see other possibilities that will help you across the board.

I know that TKD uses a turning around roundhouse, I know this because I use to get hit with the darn thing all the time when I was a JBB, and I learnt that darn kick when I learned TKD for 1 year while I was in high school. It's a great set-up kick that utilizes retreating to a science.

Good luck with it and hang in there...you'll be fine!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I know that TKD uses a turning around roundhouse, I know this because I use to get hit with the darn thing all the time when I was a JBB, and I learnt that darn kick when I learned TKD for 1 year while I was in high school. It's a great set-up kick that utilizes retreating to a science.

Sensei8,

Could you describe the turning around roundhouse? It sounds like a good thing to add to my toolbox.

ichi-go ichi-e

一期一会

one encounter, one chance

One of the worst things you can do is continue to back up against a good Taekwondo guy. You need to step to the side and create a better angle to counter. If someone is continually retreating they will often find themselves directly in their opponents kicking range. Not where you want to be when facing a good TKD player.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class."

- Choi, Hong Hi, Founder of Taekwon-Do

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".

-Dan Inosanto

What kind of sparring? Points or full contact?

In points it's easier to counter as fight end on a point.

In full contact you need to counter, but still circle and break away from your opponent - if he is bigger and stronger, he will punch your lights out.

One of the worst things you can do is continue to back up against a good Taekwondo guy. You need to step to the side and create a better angle to counter. If someone is continually retreating they will often find themselves directly in their opponents kicking range. Not where you want to be when facing a good TKD player.

Depends on the fighters and their relative range. A lot of the good fighters who purposely have a longer reach will back up to keep the advancing fighter on the end of their legs. Especially if the other fighter is piling forward all the time. Slamming a good switch back kick or side kick will stop all but the heaviest fighters.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Background: I weigh 135lbs, am nerdy and 'allergic' to getting hurt. I also have a bit of a cowardly streak (I call it 'coward reflexes'). So obviously my sparring tactic of choice is to retreat, dodge, dodge, dodge, block here and there and explore openings. It works for me, at least in the context of a class. I'm surprised when this (to me) no-brainer tactic catches green belts out and allows me to score a hit.

With that said, my sabumnim recently instated a rule that we cannot retreat while sparring anymore, and told me it was SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF ME. So yeah, now I have to throw myself into danger each time. Me no likey.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you approach sparring? My reasoning is, in a real street fight, I'd most likely be up against someone bigger than me and about 50% heavier, so I wouldn't be throwing myself into their attacks. I'd wait for an opening (probably after they throw a haymaker) and go in for the hit, which is something we do learn in sparring sessions.

You're also likely to face multiple attackers. So it's a good idea to learn to force the issue and drop attacker as soon as possible.

BTW, I like sweeping retreating people. It's like a big invitation as people tend to "lean" backwards and leave their leading foot in my path. It's almost as inviting as people dropping their hands.

Sensei8,

Could you describe the turning around roundhouse? It sounds like a good thing to add to my toolbox.

OK...

Let's say you're in a normal fighting stance with your left leg in the front. As your opponent advances towards you, you step towards your right/inside and then turn 180 degrees away from your opponent, and this will appear that you're running away from your opponents advances...THEN...

Your left leg is NOW the rear leg and your right leg is now in the front...and at the end of your transitional step...POW...your deliver a right lead leg roundhouse kick to whatever target is availible, alas...

the step-turning roundhouse kick. It requires guile and timing to say the least.

It's not part of our Shindokan syllabus, but it's part of my arsenal...I love the kick.

Hopefully I described it properly for you and the other KF members here.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!