• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Retreating Whilst Sparring

Background: I weigh 135lbs, am nerdy and 'allergic' to getting hurt. I also have a bit of a cowardly streak (I call it 'coward reflexes'). So obviously my sparring tactic of choice is to retreat, dodge, dodge, dodge, block here and there and explore openings. It works for me, at least in the context of a class. I'm surprised when this (to me) no-brainer tactic catches green belts out and allows me to score a hit.

With that said, my sabumnim recently instated a rule that we cannot retreat while sparring anymore, and told me it was SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF ME. So yeah, now I have to throw myself into danger each time. Me no likey.

What are your thoughts on this? How do you approach sparring? My reasoning is, in a real street fight, I'd most likely be up against someone bigger than me and about 50% heavier, so I wouldn't be throwing myself into their attacks. I'd wait for an opening (probably after they throw a haymaker) and go in for the hit, which is something we do learn in sparring sessions.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal sparring style is largely to stand my ground and counter-strike, but I will readily change my tactics to suit my opponent. From a self defense standpoint, you may not have the space or time to get out of range and defend yourself from a distance. If you are training for self defense, I think some aggression training could be good for you--sometimes the safest place to be, for an instant, is right up close to them.

I have actually been having trouble with a youth student in my dojo who spars the same way you do. When we work self defense drills (they require you to close distance) he always flinches back, which often results in him getting punched in the face. I've been working on it for a few weeks, now, but he constantly tries to dodge back, which just lets his attacker pick up a rhythm and when they reach just a little further he gets hit.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Make no mistake, I do go in - but only when they 'open the door'. Until then, lots of boxing-style footwork/dancing, a low capoeira-like stance, and a load of running around dodging...

Oh and I'm 5ft8 so when I crouch/adopt a low stance, most punches fly well above my head...

Your sensei is correct. You do not want to give up ground in fights. How many techniques are strong when in retreat?

Very few. Your momentum is working against you in retreat. The one that comes to mind right away is...

D-side kick. It's a "get out of jail" card.

Otherwise you might want to consider the possibility or going left or right to avoid an attack.

You will lose with a retreat style in most tournaments. The aggressive fighter looks like the winner before a technique is even landed. It is also easier to throw a combination that links into another. You eventually will not block something. It's a matter of time.

In a street fight...you'd not want to wait for the big man to swing. You'd attack before the big haymaker came. Somewhere around the pushing you portion. You being up close before the blows started would be in your advantage. In a fight you HAVE to be close to connect.

Listen to your coach in this matter. In all likelihood, he's using the "no retreat rule" as a training aide just for a while to break you of the habit of going backwards.

Always train to go aggressive. Defense is losing. It's a matter of time. Defense, and retreat as part of it, only last long enough for the body to "flinch" itself out of ambush. They you're training should be pressing you into the predator role.

I'm not saying that there is no role for the counter fighter in sd. But I am saying that it MUST be aggressive and moving towards a position of advantage. Angles are always a better option than straight back.

Think about how hard it is to just walk backwards in an unknown environment without tripping on something. Now, add the stress of someone pushing in on you at a hundred miles and hour. It's too hard to move, to stay off curbs, fire hydrants, ect.

Take the opportunity that your coach has give you to stress inoculate yourself towards the goal of becoming the predator in the conflict.

With that said, my sabumnim recently instated a rule that we cannot retreat while sparring anymore...

He is absolutely correct. If you retreat, you are being controlled and probably put into a worse situation. You wouldn't have had to have that rule put in in my class because it's one I put in on day one.

You're thinking "forward" or "backward". There are lots of other directions!

Before sparring, think of what will happen if you put about a dozen folding chairs randomly in the space. Now try sparring. If you back up, you're going to get run into all of them. Instead, move forward, but forward doesn't need to be straight toward your opponent. Cut angles.

Our "sparring" is in a ring about fifteen feet in diameter, with people ringing it. If you hit the edge, you trip over people. We use quite deep stances and constant footwork, so we eat up a lot of that space. If you retreat, you're in someone's lap.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Personally I don't favour going backwards myself because I am a heavyweight and I stand a much better chance if I hold my ground or go forward. For lighter more agile fighters I don't see it as so much of a problem.

But not just going back defending all the time. Going backwards and picking your shots, using footwork, letting them come to you, that's fine. But back on the defensive not so much. Eventually, like tallgeese said, you will run into something or run out of space; be it a brick wall or the edge of the ring.

Since you do the same style of TKD as me, why not watch some videos of sparring to get an idea of how to move backwards effectively. Search for any of the fights from previous Euros or Worlds and there's loads of good examples of how to move effectively.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Train in all directions, train going backwards, train attacking, train tricks, train it all.

In reality, unless you are running away then you should be looking to control the situation and not reacting. A straight punch will get to you before you can react, if there is a knife involved you are stabbed, end of.

Different situation maybe when a drunk is "slowly" swinging punches, you can move back reacting and still be in control, but people rarely drink alone so either run or attack (then run!)

Personally I don't favour going backwards myself because I am a heavyweight and I stand a much better chance if I hold my ground or go forward. For lighter more agile fighters I don't see it as so much of a problem.

But not just going back defending all the time. Going backwards and picking your shots, using footwork, letting them come to you, that's fine. But back on the defensive not so much. Eventually, like tallgeese said, you will run into something or run out of space; be it a brick wall or the edge of the ring.

Since you do the same style of TKD as me, why not watch some videos of sparring to get an idea of how to move backwards effectively. Search for any of the fights from previous Euros or Worlds and there's loads of good examples of how to move effectively.

This is what I do. The result is they get frustrated, rush me, boom bang, combo, I'm in there.

I get what everyone else is saying about attacking. I guess it's just not in my nature, being the pacifist/wimpy sort rather than the 'raaargh' alpha male sort...