• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wado-Ryu v Aikido?

I have both of these readily available near me, and neither clash with my TKD classes (there's also Jiu Jitsu, but that DOES clash with one of my classes. I could work around it, but I won't because a - it's by far the best of the two weekly classes I take and b - it's located literally a 2 minute walk away from my office.)

Anyway, onto Aikido v Wado-Ryu. Location wise, one is in a small village hall which is a bit far to walk to, but I can bike to. One of their classes clashes with my TKD, but I could take the Monday class no problem. That's the Aikido. It looks like a one-man operation.

The Wado-Ryu is more convenient, as I can easily get there by train (it's a couple of stations away) and then walk to and from the dojo. It's also at a more convenient time (Sunday morning). It's a 1.5hr class once a week. The school does give off a McDojo vibe for some reason (young 3rd Dan instructor and a drawing of smiling kids on the flyer I saw pinned to an electric post.)

Neither school advertises heavily though, in both cases I just happened to come across flyers (one in a sports shop, the other on a random lamp-post on the way to TKD class.) My TKD school comparatively advertised much more.

What are the differences between these styles? Which is better for what (throws, strikes, fitness, etc). Which would you guys personally recommend? And which school inspires the most confidence based on what I've described?

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Try both for few months and see which you like.

I am sure that aikido has something to offer in terms of concepts and culture. I'm not sure if it's self defense by it's own but combined with TKD it might not be a bad choice.

Wado is ofcourse closer to TKD, but with it's own ideas. My base is in wado so I like it. BUT give aikido a chance if you dare:-)

I would choose Wado Ryu as it's close to my style of Shukokai, I tried Aikido - I found it very frustrating; it has some self defense value but it is more of an ethos than a fighting system. It takes longer to become proficient in Aikido than Karate and from what I have seen the training involves far to much compliance and courtesy throws for my liking. I am biased towards a more striking and punching system that is trained on a hard floor, not a mat that is safe and cosy.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

With the Wado, you'll get a solid karate system that tends to be very rooted in tradition.

With Aikido, you'll get an energy management system that deals heavily with circular movements and joint manipulation. It is also heavily rooted in tradition.

You have to look at which interests you the most. As with all things, go and check them out and see which groups fits into what you want the best. Then go from scheduling ease.

Good luck and keep us posted.

With respect pdbnb, haven't you only just started TKD? Maybe because it is so different Aikido might be a better option as you'll be less likely to confuse yourself.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I have both of these readily available near me, and neither clash with my TKD classes (there's also Jiu Jitsu, but that DOES clash with one of my classes. I could work around it, but I won't because a - it's by far the best of the two weekly classes I take and b - it's located literally a 2 minute walk away from my office.)

Anyway, onto Aikido v Wado-Ryu. Location wise, one is in a small village hall which is a bit far to walk to, but I can bike to. One of their classes clashes with my TKD, but I could take the Monday class no problem. That's the Aikido. It looks like a one-man operation.

The Wado-Ryu is more convenient, as I can easily get there by train (it's a couple of stations away) and then walk to and from the dojo. It's also at a more convenient time (Sunday morning). It's a 1.5hr class once a week. The school does give off a McDojo vibe for some reason (young 3rd Dan instructor and a drawing of smiling kids on the flyer I saw pinned to an electric post.)

Neither school advertises heavily though, in both cases I just happened to come across flyers (one in a sports shop, the other on a random lamp-post on the way to TKD class.) My TKD school comparatively advertised much more.

What are the differences between these styles? Which is better for what (throws, strikes, fitness, etc). Which would you guys personally recommend? And which school inspires the most confidence based on what I've described?

Do you have websites for either of the schools.

Are you UK Based?

I know most of the UK Wado groups and many of the Aikido ones so would be able to tell you whether I think they are good or bad.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Do you have websites for either of the schools.

Are you UK Based?

I know most of the UK Wado groups and many of the Aikido ones so would be able to tell you whether I think they are good or bad.

K.

http://www.kifederationofgreatbritain.co.uk/clubs/alton.htm - All I have for Aikido.

http://www.surreykarate.co.uk/ - the Karate club.

Never heard of the Aiki group, but I know the instructor of the Wado group personally.

We used to train together in the same association many years back.

It comes under the auspices of Shiomitsu sensei's Wado Academy and in turn is linked to the Wado-ryu Renmei (Otsuka II group).

In short, the Wado club has an impeccable pedigree.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I trained with the Ki Aikido club in Bangor North Wales many years ago. It was at the University. This is why I turned against Aikido as an effective style; they took so much time developing the mythical "Ki" and not giving any martial arts training at all. Wado Ryu on the other hand, developed from Ju Jitsu and Japanese Karate is one of the best forms of modern Budo in my opinion.

Look to the far mountain and see all.