• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

USe of the title "Master"

I think that 95% of the time, Master is used to inflate the ego of the instructor. I dont see it as a slave/ master thing at all, but the term is widely used. I think that there are few masters in this country. I think that Master should be used for those who have a high level of proficiency, and who have spread the art and its philosphy around the country/world. Examples would be: Wally Jay, ralph castro, jhoone rhee, Helio Gracie, Mas Oyama, Funakoshi, Kano and a few, and I mean very few, others.

If my survival means your total destruction, then so be it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that 95% of the time, Master is used to inflate the ego of the instructor.

I agree.

As for the yes master slave comment, I was joking :roll:

I would think a true master would not promote its usage towards himself but rather towards the founder of the style.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Keep in mind that this ranking system was borrowed from Kano and Judo, which was then inspired by western education.

The 10-dan systems are fairly common, but not universal. In some Japanese and Okinawan styles traditional to have only six dans, and in some styles opening a school automatically elevates you to master status (5th or 6th dan).

In certain styles of TKD you are masterat 4th dan, but many other ma styles do hold back that distinction until 5th, 6th, or 7th and then some are elevated after their deaths. :dead:

In the end, however, its arbitrary, just like colored ranks. Some schools and martial artists have good standards, some don't have any.... C'est la vie