• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Saw that IBJJF has, if I understand it, implemented a change in the belt structure. Adding colors/grades to the kids belts, putting minimum times on adult grades and adding a red & white belt near the top of the black belt level. Not knocking it, just wondering what the opinion of the BJJ practitioners here were. The Inside BJJ podcast had an interview with Fabio Santos, who basically said he was going to keep going the way he had always with belts and, if I remember correctly, compared it to belts being added to judo and karate.

Also interesting was Mr. Santos' dislike for the IBJJF not having a ruling body, so much as a head man. His biggest complaint seemed to be that there was no real way for members to have input on how things were going for the organization.

So, thoughts, ruminations, random words?

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It doesn't really bother me. The "kids belts" they added are just striped belts, rather than one solid belt putting stripes on it. So the color system there hasn't really had much change.

The time frames have always been there. So that's not new.

The biggest change is the addition of the Red/white belt for 8th degree. It used to be a red/black belt for 7th and 8th. Now it's just for 7th.

I don't mind the changes too much.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Kids learn differently than adults do, and I'm guessing the kids BJJ curriculum is somewhat different than the adult curriculum. I think it would only be natural to have a bit different belt system for the kids.

Also the children are not to be compaired to an adult. Even and adult white belt can beat a child in a grappling match up...they want to make it as apples and oranges as possible so they dont have a situation like we have in Karate were you have some moron promote a kid to 1st Dan at nine!

I am totally in agreement with the different belt system, however I see the issues that it could have as well. but in BJJ they say not to worry about your belt at all, just your skills. I know of a few white belts that can roll with purple belts very well and a blue belt or two who tap brown belts out alot. The belt is not as important as the skill set, dont EVER sleep on an opponent when rolling....learned that the hard way!

Even monkeys fall from trees

I dont disagree. I am not a big fan of the belt system anyway. A belt is not always indicative of skill

I have been training in martial arts for over 18 years in karate, Muay Thai, BJJ, and wrestling.