• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Travelling to dojo (how much time)?

Epyon

How far do you guys travel to your dojos? Mine is five minutes away from my house, but I am thinking of changing karate style (from shotokan to kyokushin) but there aren't any dojos nearby, so I would have to travel 1.5 hour with public transportation.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My two current dojos are right in my town. One's a five minute drive and the other one's a five minute walk (though I usually drive since walking home through that part of town in the dark is a risk I don't want to take). The furthest I've gone was a 45 minute drive each way when I lived out in the middle of the desert for two years. I only went there for about a month before the gas and time started to add up too much (added to the fact that it just wasn't a very good school) and I started just working out on my own at home.

Right at one mile from the house currently. Before about 15 miles. If you count my short stint with a judo club back in college 97 miles driven three days a week. But, that lasted about a month before the marathon days got to be too much.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Typically, 1 hour travelling each way, however my instructor has just moved back to Japan, so now I will have a 12,000 mile round trip taking best part of 2 weeks.

I envy folk who have good dojo within walking distance.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I train at two different dojos. One is less than 2 km from my house but sadly only has classes on 3 days out of the week, so the rest of the time I drive 25-30 minutes to the other one which is much larger and has classes more often.

I'm teaching on campus, 50 minutes by bicycle and an hour by bus. I was training at a yoga place 8 blocks away, but the one i was training with there moved.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia