Do you teach the Pinans?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you teach the Pinans?

• Yes
    • No

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I marked "no" on a technicality. I teach the Heian kata.

They offer a great deal to the students. First, they are easier to learn than some of the other forms. This makes them ideal for a beginner. Second, they have plenty of technique and intracacies to work with.

I honstly believe someone could work on those 5 kata alone and learn enough karate to master the art. Keep in mind that I'm speaking in terms of practicing the bunkai contained in them as well as oyo and doing so for several years.

As part of a project, I filled a full college ruled notebook with all the permutations of bunkai/oyo I could find in just Heian Shodan (Pinan Nidan).

EDIT: I should also add that not teaching them isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Kata is always about how it's practicied. Not how many are practiced. So if you chose to teach just a few of the longer kata, say bassai dai and jion for example, you could get just as much value out of that.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I marked yes, but technically its the Heian Katas.

First off they teach the basis for which we use to move, make and form techniques and apply them in Kumite or actual situations.

however, if you are looking for a system of Kata to suit your own style...dont. the Pinan/heian system starts teaching a system of movement or a way of moving that compliments or forms the Shorin/Shorei styles of Karate; including but not limited to Wado, shotokan, Shito ryu, Kyokushin, Shorin ryu, ext.

If you are from a different branch or forming your own branch you should be looking more at what makes you guys click....this way you can form your Kata around how you move. For instance, the Naha te styles (goju, Isshin, Uechi ext) have a different way of moving, a different feel to them...way deeper in some stances and alot more close fighting skills...the Pinan's would have to be altered alot for them....

Even monkeys fall from trees

We do. Believe we call it the Pyung Ahn forms tho. I like them personally. Each one gets harder and harder which is great for as students get to higher ranks.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Yes, we do, but I think that if I ever branch out to teach on my own, I will take them out of the curriculum. There is plenty of great stuff in Naihanchi, Passai, and Kusanku--and even Chinto and Gojushiho, although I'd probably take them out, too--that I just don't see the need for the Pinan kata. Most of the techniques found in them can be found in other kata, or the situations they address can be addressed with techniques from other kata, and they are so widespread I don't feel obligated to preserve them simply for the sake of tradition.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Yes we do, they are taught to grade up to 4th Kyu. They are the core of our style of Karate.

Same with us, except, they're taught up to 5th Kyu, then followed up by the Niafanchi series.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 months later...

Yes I do, Up until fourth kyu.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!