• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kihon Kata

muttley

When testing for first dan in our school, the students are required to perform all lower rank forms, as well. I think if it were up to me, I'd require current form and one form back for all colored belt testings, as well. That way the students know they have to keep working on the previous forms.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When testing for first dan in our school, the students are required to perform all lower rank forms, as well. I think if it were up to me, I'd require current form and one form back for all colored belt testings, as well. That way the students know they have to keep working on the previous forms.

I think its an excellent way of doing things, what use is a black belt that couldnt show a beginner how to do the Basic Kata?

Wado

At one point in time the Kihon Kata was split in 3, I think they had the same floor plan but all had various strikes/blocks.

If you learn them for years then you won't ever forget them but the modern western methods tend to get people through the early Kata with only a few months learning each one. They should be constantly sharpened as you continue training.

The biggest part of doing any Kata is to get pass the stage of having to think about the next move and to imagine yourself in mid battle - regardless of which move you are doing. Kata Kihon is the perfect Kata for training this mindset.

This hapenned to me in a grading actually, my mind went blank but my body just went through the Kata as usual like the many previous times i'd drilled it. I remember thinking to myself ' Damn, ive messed up, ...oh actually no, that was right!''

I believe for testing for Shodan with us, you are expected to perform each kata. Our motto is 'We leave nothing behind''

Absolutely, think of it as layered learning, as you are moving up the Kyu grades then you should be learning a new Kata and at the same time fine tuning previous Kata. As you progress then the Kata you have been doing for years should be really sharp and almost automatic.

We've had a few students in our club that look at previous Kata as done and dusted, they get a shock at grading times when they are have to do previous Kata.

Shodan gradings should include everything you have done before, then things that you haven't done, then keep going until the average Joe would give up , then beyond. It's tough (in a good club) but a good mile stone.

When testing for first dan in our scforms. the students are required to perform all lower rank forms, as well. I think if it were up to me, I'd require current form and one form back for all colored belt testings, as well. That way the students know they have to keep working on the previous forms.

We have to do the whole lot for each grading and TBH your current one matters less than you being able to perform your previous ones to your current level. If a black belt can't perform Chonji (what I would consider as a TKD Kihon kata) and look like a blackbelt, then there isn't any point evaluating any of their other forma

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When testing for first dan in our scforms. the students are required to perform all lower rank forms, as well. I think if it were up to me, I'd require current form and one form back for all colored belt testings, as well. That way the students know they have to keep working on the previous forms.

We have to do the whole lot for each grading and TBH your current one matters less than you being able to perform your previous ones to your current level. If a black belt can't perform Chonji (what I would consider as a TKD Kihon kata) and look like a blackbelt, then there isn't any point evaluating any of their other forma

I agree completely. I was doing forms review in class the other day, and was pleased to find that all but one of the students present were doing well with the old forms, popping them out nicely, and they were looking sharp. The less review time takes, the more class time to work on stuff like sparring and self-defense.

I think its an excellent way of doing things, what use is a black belt that couldnt show a beginner how to do the Basic Kata?

I agree. We expect our low ranks to be able to approach any of the higher ranks (even if it is just one belt higher) with any questions about any material, and be able to answer and help them out.

I agree. We expect our low ranks to be able to approach any of the higher ranks (even if it is just one belt higher) with any questions about any material, and be able to answer and help them out.

I think thats spot on, it does not necessarily have to be a black belt, but anyone with a higher grade than yourself.

After all a belt is a rank of knowledge in an art and not just 'time served' indicator.

Wado

I think thats spot on, it does not necessarily have to be a black belt, but anyone with a higher grade than yourself.

After all a belt is a rank of knowledge in an art and not just 'time served' indicator.

That's exactly right.