• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

black belt prep

Charlie44

This has always seemed to be a weird question to me. I've been asked at least 50 times. You should do what you've been doing for the last "x" years. Train. Your instructor would not be putting you up for testing if you were not ready.

Here's the simple fact few ever really point out. You'll go into the test. You'll work really hard. You'll receive a new belt. You'll leave the test. You'll know little more than you did the day before the test.

The black belt is the culmination of knowledge, skills, and abilities attained over years of training; not a few months/weeks of preparation.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has always seemed to be a weird question to me. I've been asked at least 50 times. You should do what you've been doing for the last "x" years. Train. Your instructor would not be putting you up for testing if you were not ready.

Here's the simple fact few ever really point out. You'll go into the test. You'll work really hard. You'll receive a new belt. You'll leave the test. You'll know little more than you did the day before the test.

The black belt is the culmination of knowledge, skills, and abilities attained over years of training; not a few months/weeks of preparation.

Well said , as someone who took 8 years to test for shodan I couldn't agree more with you .

never give up !

• 2 weeks later...

I would say treat it like you were training for fight. Get into the best shape of your life by running, weight training, sparring and kata. This is my opinion of course. Can you run three miles? Defend yourself for 8 rounds? Perform kata adequately? Then you are ready.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Train as often and as hard as you can manage, up to the week before your grading.

Then have a very light (training) week, and eat well.

Brush up on your theory when you are not physically training.

Relax and have fun.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I don't remember how much time I was in the dojo prepping for my Shodan but it was more than most I tested with . Not to mention all the running, push ups, sit ups, shadow boxing, ect. Constant kata work, and I felt like I didn't have enough time to prepare. Even through I knew the dates months in advance.

Do a bit of research as well, speak with your Sensei but I also got asked several questions at the end of the Grading.

Things like Kata names - Bassai Dai = Storming a Fortress - for example, I then got asked what I planned to do after gaining Shodan, then what Karate meant to me....

Was expecting some questions but these threw me a bit, especially when knackered! So long as you can answer honestly (if this is part of your grading that is.....) Not everyone will have the same experience.

I don't remember how much time I was in the dojo prepping for my Shodan but it was more than most I tested with . Not to mention all the running, push ups, sit ups, shadow boxing, ect. Constant kata work, and I felt like I didn't have enough time to prepare. Even through I knew the dates months in advance.

I can relate to this! I am doing my Shodan in the next couple of months and I have been training 4/5 Dojo nights per week as well as practising at home and constantly doing Kata in my head when I cant do it physically!

The amount of work I am putting in compared to others who may be taking their Shodan shows because they are doing the bare minimum my Sensei requires in order to grade.

I can relate to this! I am doing my Shodan in the next couple of months and I have been training 4/5 Dojo nights per week as well as practising at home and constantly doing Kata in my head when I cant do it physically!

The amount of work I am putting in compared to others who may be taking their Shodan shows because they are doing the bare minimum my Sensei requires in order to grade.

Something you mentioned that I forgot was the mental prep. This became very important during my preparation for my nidan test which I went through last month. This time around I couldn't be in the dojo as much as I would've like to have been dur to my work schedule, and life in general. Most of my kata work was done mentally, as was my basics not saying we didn't train train hard in the dojo just life happens.

The mental prep is just as important if not more important for these big promotions in my opinion.

Make sure to go in there with confidence. As a judge, I like to see a confident look in the eye of those testing. They need to believe in themselves if they want me to believe in them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 1. kyu as well and somehow I think I can never train enough. I can always make my katas better and my kumite is surely not good enough. But I have a working life and a family life as well, and I can only spare as much time as I can. I have no rush getting 1. Dan, but as long as I give it all I can, it's up to my sensei to see when he believe I'm ready. I would say - leave it to your sensei.

:0)

Lisbeth

Minami Karate Dojo

http://www.minami.dk