Charlie44

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the in dojo time only or the total time you are training each week? Approaching the time of my shodan promotion I was in the dojo about 7hrs a week and training a couple of hours a day otherwise. I was lucky to have a nidan as a good friend and training partner and be in college/unmarried so I had plenty of time.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

If you have to ask, it's probably not enough. I realize everyone's circumstances are different, but it seems like you're trying to skate by on the least amount of effort.

Do your best, and good luck!

I was running a few times a week, attending 3 lessons a week and training myself another few hours on top. Depends on how hard your club is on testing and how much you want to become a Shodan, it will also give an indication on what you will be like after.

Your grade should include all Kata learnt so far, loads of combinations and all Kumite so anything you can practice now should give you less to think about on the day.

To be honest, I think it depends on the style of karate you train, for instance, in my experience from Shotokan, shodan gradings are hard work but not as hard as say Goju or Wado shodan gradings.

When I trained for my Shodan in Shotokan I knew I had the technique, the kata and the kumite, it was fitness and mental training that I needed help with to get through what will undoubtedly be the hardest grading you have ever sat.

This is the difference between a kyu grade and a dan grade in my book. A kyu grade can get away with purely training in the dojo. A dan grade must commit to training above and beyond this. And not just in the build up to pass the grading, this to me is the commitment to the dan grade.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

To be honest, I think it depends on the style of karate you train, for instance, in my experience from Shotokan, shodan gradings are hard work but not as hard as say Goju or Wado shodan gradings....

I think a lot of it depends on the club/org, i've seen examples of Shodan gradings where they hardly broke into a sweat or it was over in an hour.

We put them through a lot of hard work physically and mentally, normally finishing with sparring until they are near exhaustion, it's the spirit of wanting to keep going that is also on test. Don't confuse spirit with aggression...

If you can witness a Shodan grading at your club before yours then you will get an idea of what is required, speak with your Sensei but train hard!

My best tip is to practice everything so that you don't have to think too much about them on the day, it's no good having to think too much about Kata for example - if they are automatic you can focus on the speed and power.

It does depend. For instance, a question to look at is how are the Shodan tests run? Enduro marathons? Technical only? Somewhere in between?

That will dictate what and how much training you'll need to be doing. Set your training up to make certain you're ready for what's coming.

I'd guess, and it's just a guess, that 3 hours is a bit on the light side. If you have any extended sparring or testing of any type that won't bet the cardio side of things in line let alone technical expectations.

Personally, I'd always look at testings kind of like a fight or tournament as far as prep goes (of course, lighter in all aspects) when I was involved with formal testings.

I'd think about getting to 4 classes per week. Those should be 1.5-2 hours each go between technical and live training. Now, add on 3 days of cardio/ weights/ and conditioning as well. Yes, you will be doubling up on some days. That's what I'd look at as a minimum. This also serves as a dry run for fight or tournament prep if that's a route you want to go later.

But that's just me, from the clubs I've been at. Mileage may vary per club/ style. Look at what the shodans have put in before.

If you have to ask, it's probably not enough. I realize everyone's circumstances are different, but it seems like you're trying to skate by on the least amount of effort.

Do your best, and good luck!

You got all that from the OP :o !

OP, train as much as you possibly can! If three hours dojo time is all you can muster then make sure you practice at home!