• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi, I've been training for four years now and (hopefully) taking my black belt grading in December. Ive never taken part in competition, but i have noticed in training that when i spar, i feel reluctant to attack my opponent. Is this a major issue if i wish to compete? Is it aggression i need to work on or can i rely on my defense game? replies would be appreciated :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center. :)

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center. )
thanks for the reply , and i will be thinking of the advice next time i spar, but when i do spar :)

Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center. )
thanks for the reply , and i will be thinking of the advice next time i spar :)

The best from of defense is to act in a way so that your opponent is at a disadvantage. Be that off balance, facing away, on the ground, controlled so they cannot attack again or ineffective so you are not going to get hurt. That said, if you can intercept them with a well timed strike that will disable them; this doesn't need to be aggressive either. The power of a right hook met with a strong knife hand block to the bicep will stop most attackers, the fact that you follow with the right knife hand to the neck area to further disable him is purely your choice. If you want to defend, look to stop your attacker before they get close, a good kick to the knee area as the step in will suffice. I hope you find your way and your own style within what you are taught; it is very satisfying.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

If your reluctance to attack comes from experience telling you that you are good at counterfighting, fine. If it comes from moral issues and a feeling of wrongness, reexamine your personal philosophy.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I would say you need more time and training. You face getting hit a lot in sparring and if your best defence in a real situation is to wait to be attacked then you are not going to last long.

I spar with one Shodan who is always on the attack and very fast, unless you take the initiative by attacking you tend to get hit a lot, you can still be calm when sparring but you have to try and control the fight. You also need to know if your hits are effective, if you techniques are easily blocked then you need to change them or add distractions etc.

I'm not a naturally agressive person and will often pause to say sorry if i get in a strong hit, but you must hit. Also consider fighting 2 attackers, something i had to do for my Shodan, unless you attack you are toast

Charlie, if you rely an technique and good form, calmly and with focus you don't need to be aggressive. Coming from a place of calm purpose is better than an angry response. You can act quicker as you are relaxed and in control. Meet each opponent like a whirlwind - strong and powerful on the outside but peaceful in the center. :)

Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean angry as well. Controlled aggression is what you see in the ring all the time - constantly putting pressure on the opponent and hitting with bad intentions. I don't think anyone would ever advocate letting emotion override reason in a fight.

Being aggressive doesn't necessarily mean angry as well. Controlled aggression is what you see in the ring all the time - constantly putting pressure on the opponent and hitting with bad intentions. I don't think anyone would ever advocate letting emotion override reason in a fight.

Kuma beat me to this part. There is nothing that requires aggression and anger to be linked together. I've had students ask the same thing. How can you hit people and not be angry. I try to explain that I don't have to be angry to hit you, at all. Aggression is about pressure and offense. You don't throw away your defense, but if you sit back and wait for the attackers to come to you, you will slip at some point. And you find it hard to get offense rolling when you are busy trying to cover your tail.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine