Kusotare

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the importance of earning the status is...?

8)

It is not a status that is earned it is a matter of history.

K. 8)

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

I attended a 1 year training for Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. There was the opportunity to continue training for the chance to earn menkyo certifications. But I was unable to fulfill the time commitments and was not able to continue the training.

We did alot of junretsu (permutations) for bo, tanbo, tonfa, kenjutsu, and jujitsu.

I found it very fun, but college made it too difficult to continue and the rules for participation were very strict.

Not a true Koryu.

Yagyu Shinkage-ryu is a Koryu - no doubt about it.

It is primarily a sword school (and a fine one at that), but I do not believe they incorporate tonfa.

Maybe it was something your group added in?

K.

That's quite possible. Viol Sensei was an Uchei Deshi, they sent him to learn with many other Ryu. It's possible he was just transmitting as much information as possible. It was not Yagyu specific. He actually used the term Sogo Budo for the class. But Yagyu was his primary training.

Here's more information on Viol Sensei:

http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/sskstaff/johnviolshihan01.html

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

That looks like an excellent group PS1.

I'd have loved to have trained with them.

Sogo in this respect implies "comprehensive" as it teaches multiple disciplines.

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

K.

Yeah...Like I said, it was very interesting. It really changed the way I approach my karate as well.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

8)

I'd guess to substantiate your school as a "koryu."

Why is that so important?

:-?

**Proof is on the floor!!!

8)

I don't know if it is so important to everyone. Not every school can be or have a lineage that is 400 years old. My school isn't, but its not a big deal to me, as I'm sure its not a concern of yours, either, Bob.

I think there are some who study Western Swordsmanship that could possibly fall under a similar title, like those of the Liechtenauer tradition.

8)

Koryu are a cultural assets of Japan.

They represent an unbroken transmition from teacher to student of a Martial tradition - some of which are best part of 600 years old.

As to why that's imortant, well I guess it only really matters if you are into that sort of thing.

There is an expression in Japanese called "Keiko Shokon" - which best translated means -

Reflecting deeply on the past to illuminate the present.

K.

Edited by Kusotare

I think there are some who study Western Swordsmanship that could possibly fall under a similar title, like those of the Liechtenauer tradition.

Most western sword traditions practiced today have been “re-established” in modern times by enthusiasts working, in the most part, from historical documents.

The Koryu of ancient Japan however (or the ones that are still extant anyway) represent a constant unbroken transmition from living teacher to student - hands on as it were - for 400 - 600 years.

There are very few societies on the face of the globe that could boast such a “direct source” in terms of history than that.

This is why they became a major center of study for hoplologists like Draeger and Armstrong.

K.