• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Classical Arts of Feudal Japan and Ninpo / Ninjutsu

Kusotare

Hello,

I'm not sure where the best place is to post this, but I thought I'd ask whether there are any other practitioners of the Classical arts from Feudal Japan?

Are you a member of a Koryu?

Or do you practice in a School of Ninpo/Ninjutsu (Bujinkan/Genbukan)?

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attended a 1 year training for Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. There was the opportunity to continue training for the chance to earn menkyo certifications. But I was unable to fulfill the time commitments and was not able to continue the training.

We did alot of junretsu (permutations) for bo, tanbo, tonfa, kenjutsu, and jujitsu.

I found it very fun, but college made it too difficult to continue and the rules for participation were very strict.

Not a true Koryu.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I attended a 1 year training for Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. There was the opportunity to continue training for the chance to earn menkyo certifications. But I was unable to fulfill the time commitments and was not able to continue the training.

We did alot of junretsu (permutations) for bo, tanbo, tonfa, kenjutsu, and jujitsu.

I found it very fun, but college made it too difficult to continue and the rules for participation were very strict.

Not a true Koryu.

Yagyu Shinkage-ryu is a Koryu - no doubt about it.

It is primarily a sword school (and a fine one at that), but I do not believe they incorporate tonfa.

Maybe it was something your group added in?

K.

I'd say that Shindokan Saitou-ryu is Koryu.

Very "old school" across the board in both methodologies as well as ideologies. Both our Soke and Dai-Soke, born, raised, trained in Okinawa-te and Shuri-te. Our Kobudo brand utilizes very old school type Kobudo weapons/training.

Yeah, I'd say we're Koryu. It's just that I've never heard either Soke/Dai-Soke refer to Shindokan as Koryu. I'll look into our scrolls and the like to see if either mention it.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Very "old school" across the board in both methodologies as well as ideologies. Both our Soke and Dai-Soke, born, raised, trained in Okinawa-te and Shuri-te. Our Kobudo brand utilizes very old school type Kobudo weapons/training.

Yeah, I'd say we're Koryu. It's just that I've never heard either Soke/Dai-Soke refer to Shindokan as Koryu. I'll look into our scrolls and the like to see if either mention it.

Koryu is a term used to refer to the martial traditions / schools of mainland Japan that were in existence prior to the Meiji restoration.

They originated from the warrior clans and continued up until the creation of the modern military in the late 1800's.

Their raison detre was somewhat different to that of Okinawan karate which developed (primarily) as a system of civilian self defence.

That said, I have heard it argued that some authorities in Japan recognise Goju ryu as a koryu although that is a little contentious.

Most scholars refer to koryu as schools / sytstems originating from mainland Japan and as such karate schools do not make the list.

K.

Koryu is a term used to refer to the martial traditions / schools of mainland Japan that were in existence prior to the Meiji restoration.

They originated from the warrior clans and continued up until the creation of the modern military in the late 1800's.

Their raison detre was somewhat different to that of Okinawan karate which developed (primarily) as a system of civilian self defence.

That said, I have heard it argued that some authorities in Japan recognise Goju ryu as a koryu although that is a little contentious.

Most scholars refer to koryu as schools / sytstems originating from mainland Japan and as such karate schools do not make the list.

K.

actually, i fail to believe that okinawin martial arts developed as civilian self defense. most of the notable practioners or instructors, were descended from well to do lineage. i dont think that the average citizen would want to practice martial arts by night in secret after working in the fields all day.

as far as koryu goes, ive never heard of goju referred to as such. most schools that im aware of are of the classical arts, such as weapons arts, samrai, and some ninjitsu/taijitsu if they can trace their lineage.

K.

Well, that's probably why I never heard Soke and/or Dai-Soke ever refer to Shindokan as a koryu.

Thanks for the info, but I'll still check our scrolls and the like to be for sure.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

...actually, i fail to believe that okinawin martial arts developed as civilian self defense. most of the notable practioners or instructors, were descended from well to do lineage. i dont think that the average citizen would want to practice martial arts by night in secret after working in the fields all day.

I used the term "civilian" self defence in order to differentiate it from schools that primarily existed in order to transmit techniques designed to be used by professional soldiers / officers (ie Bushi / Samurai).

I understand that the origins of many Karate styles may have come from a similar background and would agree that it was probably taught / transmitted to those of higher standing within society. Okinawa however had no standing armies during its history and therefore Karate did not evolve out of same need as the Koryu did.

as far as koryu goes, ive never heard of goju referred to as such. most schools that im aware of are of the classical arts, such as weapons arts, samrai, and some ninjitsu/taijitsu if they can trace their lineage.

Many Koryu incorporate Ninjutsu (and counter ninjutsu) techniques in their densho (certainly Tenshin Shodan Katori Shinto ryu and Sosuishi-ryu have also), however I am not aware of any schools of "Ninjutsu" that are recognised as Koryu.

Taijutsu of course is an umbrella term for Jujutsu.

K.