• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do Kyokushin or other karate styles practice throws?

Himokiri Karate

To return to topic, I came across an old film of Kyokushin teaching/using throws in competition, back in the good old days...'70s as far as I can tell!

Anyway I recalled this thread so here you go, Enjoy!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm speaking basic history that everyone here probably knows: Master Gichin Funakoshi brought Karate to mainland Japan, he was an Okinawan, Karate was originally Okinawan (yes, influenced by Kung-Fu :roll:). What's this have to do with throws?

Native Okinawan Te (Ti) has, as part of its roots, Okinawan native form of grappling / wrestling known as Tegumi (perhaps torikumu depending on where you look, who you ask, and also contributes to Tuite). So, as part of its roots, Okinawan Karate already has built-in throwing / grappling foundations.

Where the branch of Shorin-Ryu I study (Matsubayashi-Ryu) comes in, and our grappling, throws, locks, bars, etc training with it:

In addition to all the Karate greatness ( :P ) that was / is Osensei Nagamine, he was a Judoka. He was in a perfect position as an Okinawan Karate master (with built-in throwing / grappling foundations) plus a renowned Judo practitioner to glean the most effective ways to analyze and apply throwing / grappling waza in the Matsubayashi-Ryu Kata.

We train weekly with grappling / throwing / locking / barring / takedown techniques with partners. Many of our kumite sessions are "no strikes allowed" to specifically develop these aspects. Our advanced kumite sessions combine striking, kicking, and grappling to put it all together (in a controlled environment).

Remember the Tii!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...