• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do Kyokushin or other karate styles practice throws?

Himokiri Karate

After the Tetsui Uchi, then Oi Zuki, opponent grabs your wrist, then as you say, the 180 degree turn with Gedan Barrai, still holding their wrist this can be a Tai Otoshi throw over your left leg and hip. You then follow with the punch or strike if it's Heian Shodan or in our case Pinan Nidan.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, every single turn in Kata can be use as a throw, whether it is a 90 degree or 180 degree turn. You don't have to wait for the attacker to grab your wrist after an oi zuki. After you punch, grab his collar and execute the throw. (Even if your punch misses).

But I wish that an instructor would actually teach it by breaking it down for two-men drills rather than rely solely on the imagination of the student.

I can tell you there are some Kata in Shotokan that have 'throws' in. I'm thinking Heian Sandan, the end where you finish the kata. I was told that would be a throw if you were to use it.

"It's not the style that's important, it's the practitioner. No style is superior to the other if you practice and train hard, ANY style can be effective."

- Me!!!!!!!

IMO, one of the best ways to unlock throwing techniques in Kata is to perform Kata for an experienced Judoka with no striking experience.

Then ask them explain what throws they see. Then ask them to apply such throw. It's a real eye-opener.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

IMHO, every single turn in Kata can be use as a throw, whether it is a 90 degree or 180 degree turn. You don't have to wait for the attacker to grab your wrist after an oi zuki. After you punch, grab his collar and execute the throw. (Even if your punch misses).

But I wish that an instructor would actually teach it by breaking it down for two-men drills rather than rely solely on the imagination of the student.

After I was shown that in the Taikyoku kata - it literally blew my mind.

Every turn has a grapple/throw or takedown, and once I started thinking about that, it has changed the way I do the kata forever!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

As far as I know, the karate system i train has takedowns, not really throws but honestly I don't know the entire curriculum.

We cross train in Judo. It meshes very well with the goju.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK