• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do Kyokushin or other karate styles practice throws?

Himokiri Karate

Im curios to know if kyokushin schools incorporate judo throws in to there karate?

I know karate and judo are both popular and so I was curios to know if kyokushin guys or other karate styles also teach judo/aikido/jujitsu throws in to there skillset?

It begins with the knowledge that the severity of a strikes impact is amplified by a smaller surface area.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyokushin does have a collection of goshin-jutsu techniques that originated from Daito Ryu Aikijutsu.

I know Enshin and Ashihara also have a collection of throws they can use during their kumite matches as well.

Im curios to know if kyokushin schools incorporate judo throws in to there karate?

I know karate and judo are both popular and so I was curios to know if kyokushin guys or other karate styles also teach judo/aikido/jujitsu throws in to there skillset?

Who says the throws "belong" to them?

If you explore the advanced Kata then they are full of throws, not many clubs seem to teach them though as we are not all blessed with mats and it increases the chances of injury if you only do them now and again.

Who says the throws "belong" to them?

If you explore the advanced Kata then they are full of throws, not many clubs seem to teach them though as we are not all blessed with mats and it increases the chances of injury if you only do them now and again.

you can even find them in hian katas ... last move of hian sandan for example ...it is all in there if you have a good teacher to teach and show them to you.

never give up !

Our Karate applications are full of throws, even the most basic Kata have them, the last few moves of Pinan Sandan for example.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Our Karate applications are full of throws, even the most basic Kata have them, the last few moves of Pinan Sandan for example.

I sit on a fence here - I'm both a karate-ka and a Jujutsu-ka.

Whilst the karate-ka may see that possibility, from a Jujutsu perspective (in practicality) - it probably doesn't work.

Imo, you need to look more into the body movements that you are training.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

All Karate Bunkai are free to interpretation, while some Sensei teach you the bear minimum, we are encouraged to seek our own techniques in the style's applications. There are techniques like body drops in most turns in the Pinan Kata, shoulder throws and a Kote Gieshi in Pinan Yondan for example. The fact that they appear in Karate Kata doesn't mean they don't work. We are going on a Bunkai based Throw and Take Down course this summer.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Though the throws may be in the kata, how many of you can genuinely say in a regular karate class you routinely practice them? I think that's something we need to keep in mind - though it's there, it doesn't necessarily give us the skill to accomplish it without putting in the effort to train them.

Throws and takedowns are most certainly present in karate, but many karateka don't practice them or try to improve them. The kata contain placeholders for throws more often than they have you perform the actual throws in the air because it would be awkward to do so, and Okinawans regularly competed against each other in tegumi (a native Okinawan grappling system). The kata told you when you could employ a tegumi technique, but being effective with that technique required tegumi practice. Today, we have access to all sorts of grappling arts to cross train in and plug into our karate, even if tegumi isn't around anymore.

For myself, I studied judo for 4 years, and have since been constantly integrating it into my karate practice. Thanks to judo, I can see throws, sweeps, takedowns, locks, and chokes in kata where I didn't before, and thanks to judo I can actually perform the techniques properly. I also recommend watching videos of shima (Okinawan sumo) which evolved from tegumi, to get a sense for what kind of throws the kata might have originally contained. I've added a few to my practice thanks to that research.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society