American Based (Are We That Unworthy?)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah if someone uses the wrong word, people jump all over it. tis the world we live in.

No! Well, at least I don't. That would serve no purpose because words are just that...words. Some words have meaning and some words don't. Therefore, using Japanese words by an American while in a dojo setting or the like doesn't add anything of value to anything.

To do it out of habit is one thing, but to do it just to show off and the like is another thing; a mistake to begin with.

Same thing with one thinking that they must have affiliation with some governing body from Japan/Okinawa or wherever; it doesn't add anything of value to anything. Yes, my Hombu could seek affiliation with the aforementioned types, however, the Hombu ISN'T from their core, in that, we/they are foreign to one another; different methodologies/ideologies and the like, albeit, both with Okinawa roots.

For me, that's just not enough!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

ah if someone uses the wrong word, people jump all over it. tis the world we live in.

No! Well, at least I don't. That would serve no purpose because words are just that...words. Some words have meaning and some words don't. Therefore, using Japanese words by an American while in a dojo setting or the like doesn't add anything of value to anything.

To do it out of habit is one thing, but to do it just to show off and the like is another thing; a mistake to begin with.

Same thing with one thinking that they must have affiliation with some governing body from Japan/Okinawa or wherever; it doesn't add anything of value to anything. Yes, my Hombu could seek affiliation with the aforementioned types, however, the Hombu ISN'T from their core, in that, we/they are foreign to one another; different methodologies/ideologies and the like, albeit, both with Okinawa roots.

For me, that's just not enough!!

a certificate from a certain governing body doesnt make you any better, nor does it make you any more "legitimate"

change up a little piece of a kata here, pay a little bit of money, and voila, suddenly now that your'e affiliated with some governing body your'e better

Perhaps it may add value, but it will be more of an intrinsic value to those seeking out that kind of thing. But not necessarily a value that can be realized outside of the fact that it is 400 years old. There are those who are very much into that kind of history, and that's ok.

Thanks for your reply maiswey.

To me it sounds like you teach a decent lesson in your group.

You say you have americanised it? Can I ask what the foundation style is?

As for me, I’m a long standing student and instructor in Wado-ryu Karate. The lesson structure within our group hasn’t really changed from that introduced into Europe by Tatsuo Suzuki sensei who was my instructor’s teacher.

Lessons are conducted in Japanese and English (but not to the extent that it is detrimental to the students understanding).

My Instructor is British however our Group is affiliated to the European Wado-kai and The Japan Karate Federation Wado-kai.

Essentially, the techniques and processes that we practice within the dojo of our group are exactly the same as those taught in dojo in Japan.

I am also a Student in and lead a UK based study group in a Koryu of ancient Japan. We practice Sword and Jujutsu and although my instructor lives in Japan he is actually Irish.

Again, lessons are conducted in Japanese (in fact it is often archaic Japanese), but primarily the spoken word is English.

It’s funny because often, when people (who have a background in gendai arts) first train with our group (or any other Koryu for that matter), they are surprised by the lack of formality – compared to that of a modern Karate club. The Koryu I am a member of is best part of 400 years old, and yet the instructors are simply referred to as Sensei (or by their first names). You work to your limits within training sessions but there is little or no regimentation to the class – it’s a lot more relaxed.

The drill sergeant approach to Karate with it high flying Shogu entitled instructors and ridiculous ceremonies there to promote a false sense of importance are a modern (often Western) invention.

Folk often refer to the word Budo as if it were a dirty word. It’s an often misunderstood word but it’s not a bad word imo. Budo doesn’t mean you become a pansy overnight and it doesn’t mean that detach martial ability for self improvement. But it’s a big topic that probably deserves its own thread.

K.

actually dug up one of my old certs, and you may find it interesting, but it actually says "sekugichi ryu, ten chi jin"

its always just been "karate" to me. had instructors from various systems at different times teach for a few months then go, we've had a BJJ guy who used to come on a regular basis. my instructor since changed to bujinkan, i did a seminar, wasnt impressed and was promoted to 8th kyu. guy teaching it said that our system was based on x-kan or had some of the same teachings, and he said he recognized some of the people in the pictures on the wall. through various sources, search engines, i cant find any link of hatsumi to any koryu and his certificates havent been validated by anyone as far as i can tell. which goes along with this thread, and it doesnt bother me, guy is impressive. just their training style didnt suit me.

the wado kata ive seen, i actually enjoy more than what i practice. straight and to the point, nothing overly flamboyant. straight and effective. no stupid low stances, grunting or crazy screaming.

Whatever the language might be, hopefully it's conducive with the MA one trains in, albeit, the language is pure MA.

Well said, I was simply joking! But very well said!

Even monkeys fall from trees

Perhaps it may add value, but it will be more of an intrinsic value to those seeking out that kind of thing. But not necessarily a value that can be realized outside of the fact that it is 400 years old. There are those who are very much into that kind of history, and that's ok.

true. some people are interested in the history of it, i guess it can be related sort of those who do battle reenactments

true. some people are interested in the history of it, i guess it can be related sort of those who do battle reenactments

Good comparison.

actually dug up one of my old certs, and you may find it interesting, but it actually says "sekugichi ryu, ten chi jin"

That is interesting...

Sekiguchi-ryu is a sogo bujutsu dating from the mid 1600's.

Could be something to do with the above. Do you have the kanji for it (that way I can tell exactly what it says)?

It’s a compressive system of both Kenjutsu and Jujutsu (along with many other disciplines).

Ten = Heaven

Chi = Earth

Jin = Man

It's a core philosophy in koryu (and Wado-ryu actually) and is important when "realising" core strength and grounding (difficult to explain).

the wado kata ive seen, i actually enjoy more than what i practice. straight and to the point, nothing overly flamboyant. straight and effective. no stupid low stances, grunting or crazy screaming.

Yes,

There's no "fluffy" stuff in Wado.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

Is this the name of the system of Karate you currently practice or are based in?

BTW, Sekiguchi-ryu is not one of the nine Koryu around which Hatsumi and the Bujinkan have based their system.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!