• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right leg forward?

ZakariRu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Its good to do both. They may be all left you never know. However I would bet it is some sort of idea that it gives them a advantage because it is less common.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Some people have the philosophy of keeping their strong dominate side foward. The idea is the strong quick jab and quicker stronger lead leg kick (ie roundhouse,sidekick are stronger with your dominate leg). Watch carefully they will probably telegraph their kicks........

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I use both my legs equally, although my right is better but I am working on that. It is good to become used to have either one of your legs forward becuase you never know the situations you may be placed in.

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

IN Wado the theory is to have one's strong side forward. this developed from Ohtsuka sense's experiences in Kendo and Jujutsu, from what I understand.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

• 2 years later...

Most TKD guys seem to fight right leg forward, too. Many people in my AK dojo also fight 'left-handed'...it makes it harder for either person to kick each other if you're on opposing sides. My instructor fights on both sides...and kills me either way...

I can't vouch for either one with solid proof of more or less effectiveness.

I personally have a better left foot, and like kicking more than punching, so I fight 'right-handed'.

What style are these Europeans you speak of?

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I fight southpaw, and I'm American :) Like shotochem said, I put my power/quicker leg/hand forward. I don't really know why I started that, but it works for me. I don't telegraph, though. There's only two people who "read" me while I was in southpaw. Both were 3rd dans. Other than that, most don't see what I'm going to do, then Whack! :D

Laurie F

Hmmm....I made mine southpaw because almost everyone else in the dojo is left leg forward. It confuses them still, and gives me a slight bit of help.

He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful Lao-tsu