• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any other non-association instructors out there?

I tend to agree with you there, my point was more aimed at the beginner, they won't be aware of how it all works so at some point in their Kyu's they will realise how things lay, some may be a bit disappointed that they aren't part of a larger organision - maybe not straight away.

I'm totally tracking with ya. I think a separate discussion might be: "How do independents keep up the standard?"

It is vital that all teachers - affiliated or not - replenish the well from time to time. I think early in a MA teaching endeavor it's important to get actual lessons, while later on discussion and varying viewpoints might suffice to stir the pot so to speak.

Said another way: Continued Professional Development is essential. Associations regulate it and independents must take initiative to find it.

Buddha is not on the mountain, man.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my affiliations...

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice,...and some more practice, and more practice...

In addition...

Exchange/cross train with MAists everywhere and from every style of the MA.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Here's my affiliations...

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice,...and some more practice, and more practice...

In addition...

Exchange/cross train with MAists everywhere and from every style of the MA.

:)

In a way I can second this. If you are good, you are good and no belt can change it. If you need to move to another place to practise, they will notice your skills. If not, you might be going to a wrong dojo or you have a wrong idea of you skills.

I'm totally tracking with ya. I think a separate discussion might be: "How do independents keep up the standard?"

It is vital that all teachers - affiliated or not - replenish the well from time to time. I think early in a MA teaching endeavor it's important to get actual lessons, while later on discussion and varying viewpoints might suffice to stir the pot so to speak.

Said another way: Continued Professional Development is essential. Associations regulate it and independents must take initiative to find it.

I agree here-continued professional development is essential, whether in physical skills or otherwise. Seeking to improve ourselves sets the standard for our students-if we don't make an effort to grow why should they?

There are associations and schools out there that welcome independent dojos without the political strings-teachers that are wiling to share their knowledge unfettered by ego and self imposed boundaries.....if you lead by the same example you will attract one another.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...

What is a good organization? One that doesn't tell you how or what to teach in your school.

That's what I want. I do want to be apart of an organization that will recognize my rank and be able to get promoted, as well as recognize my school once I open it.

Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

• 2 months later...

I have taught for the past two years. Started teaching as a 1st kyu. I will say that I am member of a major organization and have been for three years. My club is run at a local elementary school where I am employed. I chose to keep my students away from the politics as they don't care or cannot afford to pay the fees involved. As for certificates, I create my own using a color printer and card stock. My parents and students love it. There are no monthly fees; the cost is blood, sweat and tears ( 50.00 uniform is optional and donations are accepted). The highest ranking students are orange belts. I am in it for fun and teach a curriculum that is very close to the association to which I belong. This is for those who may want to be more "official" in the future. I don't care so much about rank, I love the arts; however I will keep my ties and test when my instructor reccomends it. By the way I hold a black belt and brown belt in Goju Ryu and Shotokan respectively.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

As far as keeping standards, I would say be sure to train with someone higher ranked so that you can remain sharp. Attend seminars when ever available. Professional development is a must in any field of study. In short make sure you are a life long learner.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 5 months later...

I was very skeptical before I began training with my current sensei because I couldn't find very much info on him when I did my research. (I'm pretty picky about that!). But I started training with him because after attending a class, his skill and knowledge level was impressive, and I was familiar with his core style. I came to understand that he broke away from the associations because he wanted the ability to diversify his training, and he ran into a lot of "political mess" as he called it. So he trains a system based on 3 Okinawan MA's and Shotokan. He also incorporates techniques from Japanese Ju Jitsu, Aikido, Muay Thai, and Tai Chi (he lived in Okinawa while in the service for years and trained a lot). He always talked about the "old sensei" he trained under and told stories about him (but never mentioned his name- which was one reason why I was skeptical at first). I finally found his name, and when I did research on him, I found out that it was Master Okazaki, and that he trained personally under Gichin!!

So it was a pleasant surprise that my sensei has a direct link to the founder of Shotokan! He moved from Philadelphia to my home town because of work, but he had difficulty building up a student base because MMA started to get big around that time, and there are 2 very good BJJ/MMA schools right nearby. Everybody wants to "trane UFC" around here, and not many people respect the traditional MAs. But I prefer what I get out of traditional MA's.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I may be cutting ties with my organization soon per my previous post "thinking about going rogue".

After looking into the benifits and down falls I can give them to you as I see them.

Benifits - freedom, no dues, fee's or credential charges, no one to restrict your methods, and the ability to incorporate techniques from other styles.

Down falls - no more rank progression (if thats important to you) I guess you could proclaim your self Soke and make your rank what ever you want but that would be cheesy. You have to provide the services that your organization provided such as certificates, gi and obi (not really a big deal you can buy them just about anywhere online I found out), insurance, insurance, insurance, the backing of the organization if you get sued, lineage for your students past just you, other small items like style patches (again you can purchase online), witnesses for Dan promotions (required in the Okinawan side of the arts, at least three on Shodan and up), further instruction from senior instructors, access to tournaments and summer camps (if you do these sort of things), etc, etc, etc.

It is really up to the individual. If you are going to go rogue I would suggest that you have a higher rank in your style to lend legitimacy to your dojo. In talking to other instructors in my area they all recommended that you be at least a Sandan and have had your own dojo for years so that your reputation is already established. You don't want to open a dojo and no one in the area know who you are.

I have not personally come to a decision but my decision is based on whether issues change or have come to a acceptable solution.

If I were you I would really ponder the ramifications of leaving before you make a decision. There is definitely a lot to think about.

Best wishes and good luck.

Devil Dog

Godan

Shorin ryu, goju ryu, isshin ryu, kobudo.