• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The death of "traditional martial arts".

I understand 'tradition enough to not take it seriously. I do not add any actual value to my students by trying to act all mysterious and macho and treacherous and elitist for the sake of their hipsterism.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

Why would you want to act "all mysterious and macho and treacherous and elitist"

Maybe I am missing something, but to my way of thinking, it couldn't be more basic - just train!?!

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, fo instance, traditionally the Ancients since Time Immemorial would scavenge a radial car tire and dissect it laboriously with fire and knives to get wire. As opposed to, yknow. Buying it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Wouldn't it be better just to put the tyre on a fire to let the rubber melt off the wire!?

This thead has turned out interesting lol

Some do, but the heat crystallizes the alloy and makes it brittle. Anyways, why is there an Ancient Tradition involving car tioes invented in the '30's?

Some do, but the heat crystallizes the alloy and makes it brittle. Anyways, why is there an Ancient Tradition involving car tioes invented in the '30's?

Is there? You got me on that one!

Well, it's this whole mystic tradition thing. Which revolves entirely around dumpster diving for a piece of technology that was introduced to Brasil about 60 years before I started and was told by many about how traditional and meaningful the tire was to the ancients.

I think I know where JusticeZero is coming from.

Just because something has been done for a long time - doesn't mean it's the most expeditious way to do something - I get that.

Tradition doesn't always equal efficiency.

But... we are looking at a much bigger picture here imo

I think some of us worry too much about what others are doing. If you are into traditional arts that is fine, it means something to you but it’s not very budo like to critique others who are not traditional and try to tell them what their art is or isn’t.

Enter-pressure-terminate

but it’s not very budo like to critique others who are not traditional and try to tell them what their art is or isn’t.

Who has done that then?

K.