• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The death of "traditional martial arts".

If a person was worried about kata being killed by a sport, they should not worry about MMA, but kata competition. Extra points for acrobatics and screaming.

Can you expand on what you mean here?

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a Kata practitioner is worrying about Kata being worsened by the popularity of sports, they shouldn't worry about MMA. Instead they should worry about Kata sports competitions, because sport kata are ridiculous.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

If a Kata practitioner is worrying about Kata being worsened by the popularity of sports, they shouldn't worry about MMA. Instead they should worry about Kata sports competitions, because sport kata are ridiculous.

Agreed!

Agreed!

A bit blunt, but yeah. All flash in place of substance.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

TBH, I’ve never been a big fan of Kata competitions.

Even with so called traditional associations - where one would hope there would be less of the acrobatics and screaming - the judging is so erratic.

Not surprising really - when you look at something as subjective as Kata.

This is why perhaps the WKF proposals to introduce Karate into the 2020 Olympics exclude kata.

Can’t say that surprises me.

K.

Kata competition doesn't offend me, but deviating from traditional respect of the kata does.

Who knows, maybe at their dojo thats how they teach and grade, then it's fine for them, I personally am not interested in adding glam to my kata.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

Calling points in sparring does tend to be more objective than scoring a form, most of the time. There will always be those "bad calls" or the ones a judge didn't see.

Why not? Budo is "warrior way," correct? So a warrior's way would include some effective, efficient self-defense, right? Hard training, whether in self-defense or "budo" arts will forge many of the same traits through training; hard work ethic, respect, discipline, etc. They just tend to come about in different ways.

Indeed, and as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, but the aquisition of self defence skills is not the primary goal.

K.

That is something that has always seemed odd to me, too. I think that if something is going to be termed a Martial Art, then it should transfer some modicum of self-defense in its training, regardless of its overall goals. But that is just my opinion, and its a reason that I think some stylists make the changes they do after studying something like this for a long period of time.

Why not? Budo is "warrior way," correct? So a warrior's way would include some effective, efficient self-defense, right? Hard training, whether in self-defense or "budo" arts will forge many of the same traits through training; hard work ethic, respect, discipline, etc. They just tend to come about in different ways.

Indeed, and as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, but the aquisition of self defence skills is not the primary goal.

K.

That is something that has always seemed odd to me, too. I think that if something is going to be termed a Martial Art, then it should transfer some modicum of self-defense in its training, regardless of its overall goals.

I agree that it could - but it's not alway the end goal.

Further more, be very cautious as to how effective that self defence is likely to be.

Caveat Emptor as it were.

K.