• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The death of "traditional martial arts".

Also I love the portability of traditional arts. I know everyones teaching my vary slightly, but i really like the idea that i could walk into many goju schools and it will be very close to the same.

Nothing Worth Having Is Easily Obtained - ESPECIALLY RANK

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot begin to try to reinterpret a system to my own preference. I SURELY do not have the skill or knowledge.

At some point, I think, everyone has to.

Maybe not right away, you simply don't know enough. However, as you progress, your game HAS to be interpenetrated thru the lens that is you. Your physiology, anatomy, and mindset are all different than the person standing next to you in class. Yes, you have to learn it, but, if we are talking about self defense application, one has to adapt his art to what works for him. Based on all those individual differences, mental and physical that you have.

This an be wholesale process once you reach a certain level. Or it may be piecemeal as you go. Each way has merits and disadvantages. If you're going wholesale, be prepared to wait a long time till you have your patterns sorted out. If you're going piecemeal, be prepared to re-evaluate occasionally as you're understanding gets better or you branch out.

I agree, each one of makes our own style, our own way of interpreting what we are taught. The myth that each student can be taught in the same way, the same techniques and with matching stances is only a theory that is dis proven so easily when a class comes together. The regiments of white clad students portrayed in the Enter the Dragon film gives a false impression of how a class really looks. We are not clones of each other, as you say each body and soul is different; but we are all leaves on the same tree.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I agree with that too.

My sensei also believes this. I have often heard "not every technique works for everyone but you have to know it so you could teach it"

Honestly, I am trying to empty my cup, I am trying to learn the system.

I know from my previous training that there are going to be some techniques that favor my strengths, and there are going to be some techniques that are near impossible to pull off.

Regarding kata, I am just trying to become proficient in the system and grow.

I am confident that without a good grasp on kata, I will not progess in the system.

I agree with that too.

My sensei also believes this. I have often heard "not every technique works for everyone but you have to know it so you could teach it"

I know from my previous training that there are going to be some techniques that favor my strengths, and there are going to be some techniques that are near impossible to pull off.

I am confident that without a good grasp on kata, I will not progess in the system.

I think the main thing to consider is whether or not you want to learn a particular system, or if you want to become proficient at self-defense. I like to think the two should be one in the same, but this is not always the case. But if the system is your goal, then its a good goal, and I say go for it. But I would like for my system to provide what I need in self-defense, so I look for that where I can, along with the other aspects.

I agree 1000 percent.

We do more self defense then anything.

If there was no self defense, I wouldn't be there

I agree with that too.

I think the main thing to consider is whether or not you want to learn a particular system, or if you want to become proficient at self-defense. I like to think the two should be one in the same, but this is not always the case. But if the system is your goal, then its a good goal, and I say go for it. But I would like for my system to provide what I need in self-defense, so I look for that where I can, along with the other aspects.

I feel that way. I leave class happy, I'm happy with my instructor, he's well qualified and down to earth. I feel the judo and goju complement each other well.
On this long MA journey, its hard to ask for anything more than that, isn't it? :)