• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

keeping the same belt

im12

Hi i am new to the forum i have taken my kids to karate with kugb shotokan they are really enjoying it and i have got the bug to start again myself.I got to purple and white can i go back as the same belt?i have not got my licence for proof as it was 20 years ago.I know its going to take time to get fit again and remember things im not that bothered if i dont grade for a year or so its just a bit of an incentive.Thanks for any info Jim,i must of missed the j of my user name lol.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Jim (Or im)

It depends on the org, some will insist you start again, others will evaluate you to see which belt you start at - we have just done this for someone who had a 20 year gap, he is now Yellow belt (7th Kyu) but I suspect I can get him through a couple of double grades later on.

Another method we use is to exchange their belts from white as and when they can prove they are up to the correct standard for the next belt, this could be a couple of weeks or months but saves them hanging around for the next grading if they are ready to move on.

I suspect KUGB will need you to start much lower.

Most of all enjoy it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Depends really on the organisation - some would insist you start again but most would evaluate your current capabilities before grading you to what they felt would be in line with the standard of their existing students.

I'm assuming that one day you would like to take a dan grade or maybe teach, so you may see dropping down a few grades as a backward step.

In my opinion if you were to keep the grade you were awarded 20 years ago it would mean a long time stuck on that belt and would not provide you with realistic targets i.e. taking regular gradings. As such would not provide you with the neccessary motivation required to reach your ultimate goal.

It is easy to get "bogged down" with grades and belt colours - it is more important to know your own capabilities and acheivements, and more importantly enjoy your practice.

Sorry, can't give any particular advice on the KUGB as I practice Wado Ryu myself .

Good luck in your future training.

Mark

Turns to black, fades to white.

Out of respect bring a white belt and let the instructor figure it out. Assume that if you have been away more than a year or two you will wear the white belt for a bit before they let you strap on your old belt.

In my club, if you have been away for a year or more I ask that you were a white belt for a bit and then * your skills over time to let you wear your rank when you are caught up a bit.

If you come from a different club we may start you off at white and then see if we agree with the rank you were given. I have asked Shodans and higher to start at Ikkyu after wearing a white for some time and they generally see we dont fool about alot at our club and are serious...they stay and work towards OUR shodan or higher.

Even monkeys fall from trees

Never assume anything, especially when it comes to rank, bring the white belt and go from there. The sensei will see within mere moments what he/she needs to see, and then, you'll find out what belt's appropriate.

Good luck...hang in there!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hi i am new to the forum i have taken my kids to karate with kugb shotokan they are really enjoying it and i have got the bug to start again myself.I got to purple and white can i go back as the same belt?i have not got my licence for proof as it was 20 years ago.I know its going to take time to get fit again and remember things im not that bothered if i dont grade for a year or so its just a bit of an incentive.Thanks for any info Jim,i must of missed the j of my user name lol.

Welcome to the forums. As others have suggested, the best thing you can do is talk to the instructor. They may let you keep your grade, they may not.

Also, if you contact Patrick, he can fix your user name to say "Jim12."

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Prove your dedication and have the humility to start over at white. 20 years is a huge gap and even if you still "got it," your new school is going to have its own curriculum that you're going to need time to get up to speed on. IMO, people who come into a dojo wearing a belt earned far removed, be it either by time or style, unnecessarily disrupts the order of the dojo. If you go in with a high-ranked belt and don't have the skills to match you're just insulting all the students who have put in the time and effort to get where they are. If you catch on quickly and have a good instructor, you should get advanced faster so long as you're meeting the school's expectations.

20 Year Gap ! Sorry you WERE a 4th kyu 20 years ago. That means to me you are back at the beginning. There is a monumental difference between the memories of what you did 20 years ago and what your body will do now ! If the gap was of a few years, it would be worth asking the question of the teacher, but after 20 years ? Besides, it should and would be up to the discretion of the teacher IMO.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

I'd ask the instructor for advice. If they let you keep your old belt, ask if you can still go to beginners classes for a while to catch up and freshen your technique. After you get your motor going, you can go to senior groups.

I think it's good for all of us to do the basics now and then.