• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Right, thinking of changing style

muttley

As mentioned previously, I have studied Shotokan the entire time I have trained in karate but after returning to a Shotokan club after time away, I am finding it hard to get motivated, the kata's just aren't coming back and I feel undeserving of wearing my black belt in training.

Due to this I am seriously thinking of changing to Kyokushin as this is the most popular form of Karate in my area.

What do I need to consider before changing style? Am I likely to be fitter for Kyokushin than Shotokan? Will it be like a totally different martial art for me as Shotokan is pretty much all I know?

Obviously for Shotokan, the governing bodies are generally the JKA, KUGB and EKF (I'm in the UK), what is the main governing body for Kyokushin?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would be more concerned with finding the right club, obviously the current Shotokan club isn't doing it for you.

Some clubs may want you to start again at white belt which may help you get used to their syllabus and any differences in style but would be a massive waste of your time.

My club has a routine of evaluating anyone coming back to training and starting them off where they best fit in. Another method we've used is to start them off low but constantly evaluate and swap their belts as and when we think they should move up the line.

I would just try out all of the different clubs and see what they feel like or how they welcome you.

You've actually made the choice easier and dealt with the biggest issues. Look at your work schedule. That's the most solid thing you have to work around. Then, check with the clubs in your area and get their class schedule. Compare and see which clubs will even work based on your schedule.

That sounds like it will narrow down your choices quite a bit. After you get that short list, go and look at each. Then just pick one that fits the best. Get a feel for the training atmosphere and the personalities (both as a whole and individuals), make sure you find one you think will fit well with and go that route.

Better to find a club you like that nit pick styles. As a caveat, make sure that the style (more to the point the club) is working on the same goals that you have. If you're looking for a SD school and they do sport alone (or vice versa) then you won't be happy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I think the greatest factor is the quality of the instructor. If you have a great Sensei, they can make any style outstanding. I never rated Shukokai, I thought it was a cheap re-hash of Shito Ryu; most of the instructors that taught it in our area did so for profit using the most basic syllabus that gave belts far too cheaply. That was until I met Sensei Williams; his brand of Shukokai has the same kata and kihon but he teaches the modern system with a traditional Budo that is awe inspiring. The self defense is biting and real, the kata Bunkai is frightening in its application and the look in Sensei's eye brings out a loyal student base and a close club that have become my family.

Look to the far mountain and see all.