• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Picking a few techniques and "owning" them

Just wanted to open something for discussion here.

I'd thought about writing this as an article, but figured discussion would be more constructive.

Basically, I have for some time now considered myself a well rounded MA'ist.

I've had formal lessons/classes in: 20yrs Kyokushin, 4yrs Kickboxing, 4yrs Modern Arnis, and approx 4yrs of Judo/JiuJutsu under my belt (pun intended).

Recently I have been getting into some rather in depth conversations with Martial Artists I consider to be very much more seasoned and experienced then I am, and they all raised a singular good point.

Some of the BEST Kyokushin fighters in history have found two-three techniques and really drilled them until they become "their own" so-to-speak.

I have recently started to do this, looking at what techniques I am best at pulling off effectively in Stand-up, Wrestling and Groundgames to get me into the position I want to be in.

My point here is not to ask everyone name techniques, but for argument sake, Ive been looking at: Chudan Mae Geri, Mawashi Geri, Kage Tsuki and Front hand stop hits, Flower Sweeps from being mounted, Shoulder lock (Omoplata) from guard, Uchi Mata, and one particular kyokushin takedown I dont believe has a formal name.

I know that listing off that many techniques looks like a lot, but in the scheme of things its not really that much (in Kyokushin alone we have over 50 takedowns to chokes and locks as part of Bunkai, let alone all I have learnt through Judo/JiuJutsu). As MA'ists we go through the ranks learning a multitude of techniques, but may only utilise a select number of them.

My point is, that in drilling out technique after technique, we may actually be conditioning ourselves to falter in times of need. Muscle memory dictates that the most conditioned response will be the first choice for the body.

If there is too much conflicting information spamming the nervous system, it may cause reactions to falter or be delayed.

So, is it better to focus on learning one thing well than 20 possible things basically?

I think most would say yes. But how many of us actually do so? Ill bet not too many.

I for one would, at this point in my training (knowing that I have knowledge of an arsenal of different tecniques that I know, but certainly have not mastered), be able to rely on one kick and one punch, than falter as my brain chooses what punch is best for the situation.

Opinions???

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

They say "Never fear a man that can do a thousand techniques - fear the man that has done one technique a thousand times".

It is so true, my personal technique is the Uraken or backfist. My hikate - uraken is like a piston, easily disguised and fast. My shoto uke/uchi is now being developed to the same level.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I was actually introduced to this concept in judo--tokui-waza, or specialty techniques. Top level judo competitors tend to only have 3 techniques that they use consistently, but they get very good at them and very good at applying them in any situation. I think that this concept can work well, but it can also cause problems. For example, if you only have those three judo techniques as your tokui-waza, you are quite unprepared for an encounter with a skilled striker. Similarly, if your tokui-waza consist solely of striking techniques, you will be quite unprepared for an encounter with a skilled grappler. Then, we can get into sport vs. self-defense, but I don't plan on it for this conversation.

The point is, as long as you have covered all ranges of combat and can apply that set of techniques under stress in an "alive" situation, then they should be all you need!

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nice topic!!

Oh, it is true. We each have our dye-in-the-wool techniques that we depend on each and every time we're on the floor; my hand techniques are extremely fast and powerful. I will use them until the moment requires of me to postpone them for the time being.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

The way to get effective tactics quickly is indeed to "own" a handful that apply across the board. That's great.

The downside to this is that it stunts the growth of the rest of your art.

So, again, we come back to what are you looking for. I've been on both sides of this. I will say, that my ground game EXPLODED when I decided to stop using the 4 things I was good at on the ground and made myself use new tactics.

On the long term side, this gives you more options that can be used across more varied situations.

Both are important. Drill a few hard until they are useful under stress. Make sure that they are ones that have the most use. Then, once those are down, set them aside in training and learn others. It's how we grow.

And eventually, you'll want more tactics in your arsenal. I know, everyone starts reaction time and Hick's Law at this point. Even Siddel, who did so much work in the area, points out that training mitigates these factors. Training to unconscious competence has much more to do with success under stress than does the number of tactics one drills.

The way to get effective tactics quickly is indeed to "own" a handful that apply across the board. That's great.

The downside to this is that it stunts the growth of the rest of your art.

So, again, we come back to what are you looking for. I've been on both sides of this. I will say, that my ground game EXPLODED when I decided to stop using the 4 things I was good at on the ground and made myself use new tactics.

On the long term side, this gives you more options that can be used across more varied situations.

Both are important. Drill a few hard until they are useful under stress. Make sure that they are ones that have the most use. Then, once those are down, set them aside in training and learn others. It's how we grow.

And eventually, you'll want more tactics in your arsenal. I know, everyone starts reaction time and Hick's Law at this point. Even Siddel, who did so much work in the area, points out that training mitigates these factors. Training to unconscious competence has much more to do with success under stress than does the number of tactics one drills.

That's it right there, imho. Depending on the few over the many possibly is where a practitioner lacks. The few are drilled much harder than the whole, and in that, it'll be very difficult to properly react to any given moment.

Train in everything so that everything is made ready!!

tallgeese brings up a good point. You need to keep training your weaknesses as well as focusing on your strong techniques so you get the best of both worlds.

Though I am no top level fighter, one of my specialty techniques for sparring is low roundhouse kicks. I spent quite a while developing them and working on strategies and tactics around them, to the point where I am known in my school for having strong low kicks that I can implement in a variety of ways. Unfortunately for me I focused too much on them and neglected my other kicks, so when I finally realized my mistake I had to make sure I was equally focusing on them. Now I am a much better fighter for it, as I have combined my strong low kicks with decent middle and high ones (I even have a decent lead high kick if I do say so myself).

tallgeese brings up a good point. You need to keep training your weaknesses as well as focusing on your strong techniques so you get the best of both worlds.

Though I am no top level fighter, one of my specialty techniques for sparring is low roundhouse kicks. I spent quite a while developing them and working on strategies and tactics around them, to the point where I am known in my school for having strong low kicks that I can implement in a variety of ways. Unfortunately for me I focused too much on them and neglected my other kicks, so when I finally realized my mistake I had to make sure I was equally focusing on them. Now I am a much better fighter for it, as I have combined my strong low kicks with decent middle and high ones (I even have a decent lead high kick if I do say so myself).

Solid post!!

Train EVERYTHING, not just a few.

A few years back I took 2 of my Senior Students to meet my Teacher - He took both of them on the side and did 8 or 9 motions with his hands and feet - He then informed them that he had just showed then practically the whole system. They both looked at him like he had 2 heads - but out of respect said nothing - It took awhile - but they eventually understood . A few techniques but many different combinations. But again - things are looked at differently by different individuals.