• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just got back from what I called (and by that I mean stole the term from a friend :) ) my BJJ-cation. I finally took a trip out to California and competed in the IBJJF Pan Ams. I'd done several regional IBJJF events with an overall really good set of results and a few different ranks. I'd also done even more other grappling tournies from white belt on. I decided it was time to try out one of the majors.

I have to say, it was a great experience. I lost in the prelims to a 4-stripe brown (I just got promoted in Nov. of last year) who had a long record of doing well at huge events like this. No loss of face there. I did feel like I had a decent match despite the loss. I really went out and wrestled to win and not to not lose.

Here's the footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZVBGYaFaCM

Despite the outcome, I really think everyone who seriously does BJJ should make the trek at least once in their career. Standing on that big of stage is awesome and the the people you meet are just amazing in the field. The atmosphere alone on the big days is just incredible.

Now it's back to training up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have limited experience of grappling tournaments. Can you explain how the scoring works? I saw the well dressed referee lift his hand twice to signal a score, but there was no pause in the fight. I'm a little confused.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

The scoring for IBJJF can be a handful. For grappling in general there is very little break in the action. Only actions deemed dangerous that rise to penalty will be stopped usually.

There are 2 points for takedown (pulling guard is not a takedown, but he doesn't score for it either), 3 for passing the guard, 2 for side control, 4 for mount and back mount. Advantages are awarded for things that are "almost" something sweep or submission. Of course, submission beats all. Sounds easy, right? Now once you add in the scrambles of jiu jitsu it becomes less clear. Half guard isn't counted as a pass, except sometimes. Sometimes is and advantage when you catch it, unless it isn't.

I went to a ref's course at the tournament and while I understand the rules way better than before, there is still some room for getting it fiddled up. He does score twice, for side and passing.

Technically, the rules award progression of the game toward submission. However, sometimes it works better to lock up a position and work for advantages. It's part of the game.

It does take some time to sort out. The advantages especially can be very ref dependent on what "almost" is, despite being relatively (at least on sweeps) well defined in the rules.

Maybe I will get courage and compete some times too:-)

Even in a smallest possible local event....

Those can be a blast, but you better look for submission cause the scoring system is much less certain to be well defined. Relax and have fun.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Thanks for posting Tallgeese, it's always fun to watch 2 people who could kick my butt.

Speaking of brown belts kicking my butt, I got to roll with Dan Hornbuckle the other day. Followed by his coach, who caught me trying to crawl off the mat. Lots of fun.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Cool vacation, Alex! Thanks for sharing the match, too. I also appreciate the bit on the rules. I'd like to see more of it, and how it would relate to Wrestling rules. Sounds like there is a lot more grey area to deal with than in Wrestling.

Very, very nice sir!! Thanks for the video!! Like you said...no loss of face. Be proud of yourself...you did very well.

Btw, where was the games held at?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!