• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Advertising a new class!

Hi guys.

My Shotokan club currently runs 6 classes per week excluding Saturday! However, I recently found out that another Shotokan club whose Dojo was a local sports centre on a Saturday morning, quit about 18 months ago due to some issue with the instructor and the club has since folded. The club was actually based some 50 miles away but travelled down on Saturday mornings!

After speaking with my Sensei (who is 8th Dan) and making enquiries for him, he has asked me and a friend to set up classes out of that venue in order to pick up the local students that were dropped. He has also asked my friend and I, to do the instructing.

Apart from the initial terror of being asked to instruct (I'm only 1st Kyu and don't feel qualified) I am also trying to put together a marketing strategy in order attract students, new and seasoned. We have a very limited budget as the club is not a for profit set up (we generally only cover expenses and rent).

Has anyone here started from scratch? What did you do, what was the most affective marketing practise you used and how on earth would you get the message out to the previous clubs members??

Thanks in advance.

OSU

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Facebook is a great option, but I would also recommend setting up a basic website, and get yourself put on Google Maps. One of the first things people do when they are looking for something these days is Google it, and if you don't have a website and location on Google Maps, you might as well not exist.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

If you want to attract students from near by your dojo, I'd try fliers and posters at stores and schools bulleting boards.

Also a demonstration or an introduction at school would be effective, if you get access.

My latest attempt is to do a mobile App - It's not so difficult as it sounds:-) Problem is that it does not market to local but more global.

Try to ask your sensei to visit your lessons on regular basis - maybe that would help?

If you're going to be situated in a local sports centre, there's going to be plenty of people passing through. This is going to be your best source for potential students.

Firsly, put up an advert on the centre's noticeboard. Does the centre have a website with details of activites? Make sure you're on it.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that having a website or a facebook page is massively important, but a facebook page is easy and free so you may as well have one. There are lots of free website companies out there and it's not too difficult to do that yourself.

I think you'll get more response from local adverts in shop windows etc. I've got a listing on the 'School of Everything' website and I've had quite a good response from that.

There's a chance that you and your friend could be training by yourselves to begin with and this never looks good to interested passers by. Could you get other students from your other dojo to boost the numbers for a few weeks until you get your own new students?

Best of luck.

Where abouts are you situated. I'm in Manchester myself.

Thanks for advice so far guys!

We do have a website although it is very basic and out of date and I have only just got control of it (I was made club secretary a few months back!) so am in the process of redoing it! We also have a Facebook page but, if I'm honest, I have no idea how to use it in this capacity!

I have designed a flyer and yes, I didn't think of putting notices up in shops and agree this is a good idea. I am also thinking of going out and doing a couple of weekends worth of flyer posting around the local area )(there are a couple of housing estates and they always have kids!)

When we start it is likely that for the first couple of weeks, there will be support from other members who attend other venues in order to keep numbers looking healthy.

Great advise so far. I would also speak with the center and ask if they have a call list, especially of those students that were previously practicing Karate there. You could take the time to make the calls to each person, and let them know they still have a training option available.

I think the Facebook page could be a good idea - it's like 21st century word of mouth advertising. Make sure all your important info is cleanly laid out in the "About" bit. Contact info, location, training times, link to website, affiliation etc. Make it easy for people to find what they need to know.

Add a range of photos to it: class photos, tournaments, seminars, possibly even social events. Maybe videos if you have them.

In order to promote it you'll have to keep posting about it and get it seen by your friend list. Get as many friends to like and share it as possible even if they themselves aren't interested in Shotokan and eventually you might start connecting with the old club members and reach potential new students. It's the whole 6 degrees of separation idea. Keep it popping up in people's newsfeed by posting about it.

If you want to, a club twitter account might something to consider too?

And Wastelander's Google Maps idea is really good too. As then it'll start coming up for people searching on the map for "Shotokan Manchester".

Could always ask the sports centre about what they can do WRT to advertising. Can you put stuff on a noticeboard? Can you get them to let you put flyers on the front desk? Have they got a mailing list?

Have you tried ads in the local paper? Or better yet an article? And if you know any kids who have a paper round, can bribe them with money or sweets to post a flyer with each paper on their round :brow:

Best of luck with the class! :up:

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Is the other guy a Black belt? No offence but people/parents kind of expect to see a Black belt out front, also someone older, maybe late 30's, 40's. You should ideally look approachable, friendly smile and relatively fit.

Some parents like to see things like associations, child protection policies, instructor insurance and a CRB (or whatever they are called now). Maybe even a 1st Aid cert.

These aren't essential but some people will look for them and we use them as advertising points to help sell us.

Most won't give a damn if you have won competitions or have trained with a Japanese Sensei, or can kick over your head, some will be put off when they see a huge fierce Black Belt pictured clenching fists.

Don't think i'm against your idea as I started my own clubs soon after passing my Shodan, it has taken me a while to feel comfortable but I really like it and have seen great results, my longest student is going for Purple belt soon. My Sensei passed on what he could but a lot of it has to be thought about, sometimes you will have a plan but it will need changing half way through the lesson or you may hesitate or your students will get bored - all things to think about as not everyone is suited to it, however good your Karate is.

You will also need to maintain your own training and research.

I have expanded our website to cover existing and new clubs, ensure you put locations and training times, plenty of key words to the location so you show up in searches, also google maps is a must.

Online will only work for people looking for Karate in your area, for everyone else you need to tell them where/when you are and invite them in. I have found leaflets work the best but you only get a handful turn up for hundreds of leaflets... Posters, ads, displays do help to get your name known but don't draw in the crowds.

Having existing students train with you for a big discount is good, especially if you are in a visual area then people will see your students.

Keep your prices reasonable and offer family discounts, most people will also fall for marketing tricks, free lessons, £2 off with this leaflet, introduce a friend to earn free lessons....

Make lots of designs and see which ones work, you have about 5 seconds to tell the homeowner that they can do Karate, they can try it for free with no obligation, you are the real deal, where it is, when it is, your website, email and number for more info. A snappy picture/logo helps to visually tell them what it is.

You may have some lessons with only 2 or 3 people but you must not be down hearted, teach them well and keep up the marketing. For lots of kids you may need to sacrifice a few minutes of the 3K's to have some fun, normally near the end of the lesson, as a trade off then help any adults with Kata before or after the lesson to ensure they feel valued.

Try to add something new each lesson, add in a cresent kick, spinning kicks, different strikes - something not in your syllabus. Grab bits from the advanced Kata that you are learning. Research self defence techniques, especially if they are from a Kata. Too many people give up because they get bored or can't be asked so it's your job to ensure they stick with it.

Realise that you will need to teach people who are trying it for a few months/years but don't love it like you do, amongst them will hopefully be a core that are in it for life and will give you the most satisfaction.

Most of all good luck, don't give up too soon but don't keep doing the same thing if it's not working.

Great advice from all. As far as you only being a 1st kyu, I wouldn't worry about it because I'm sure the other instructor is a black belt. Even then, what they might expect and what they're going to get is two different things.

Your Sensei wouldn't have had you in mind to teach if you're not a good teacher already. Even if both of you are 1st kyu, most, if not all of your students aren't.

I've seen in the past, and with great success, dojo's operated by 1st kyu's. Student's weren't the least concerned that they weren't black belts. Sure, some commented on that fact, but with the backing of a high Dan ranking instructor who sat AT every testing cycle, the mention of them only being 1st kyu's was quickly muted.

If any students return from the other dojo that you mentioned, and if they're 1st kyu's as well, I'd refer them to your Sensei immediate and allow him to decide one way or another.

You'll be just fine!! Good luck and hang in there!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!