• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kali, Bano, Silat are new to me...
They're all from Southeast Asia.

Kali is related to Arnis, Phillipino? stick/knife/empty hand art.

Bando and Silat are both base terms for the arts from their area, but you can't tighten up on them much, because they're like saying "Karate" or "Gongfu". Silat is the umbrella for Indonesian martial arts, Bando is the Burmese.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Yup justice zero has it right, Silat is from indonesia.

Ready for a little history lesson? Good I'm gonna tell you readers anyway haha :).

The Dutch tried to take the Indonesians country. The Dutch are large people, however the Indonesians are very short, example, a normal sized American would be considered a giant in their country. The Dutch lost the war because of Silat. Silat is focusing on staying low, extremely low to the ground. The Dutch weren't used to how Indonesia is mainly rainforest, so, They didn't even know what hit them. (I know it's not very Detailed but that's the best I can do)

That's a little brief history on Silat.

Oh my GI came in yesterday, and I will say, it's a very nice GI, very very nice. It fits well, after a little shrinking, and the jacket is a bit hot but not bad.

I would recommend this GI for anyone looking for a heavyweight.

I watched a program with Ross Kemp about the Martial Art Gangs in Indonesia; it described and showed Penjak Silat, it was very interesting. They also demonstrated a modern Dart Firing weapon used and outlawed in the area. They showed Ross Kemp firing a barbed dart and fights between gang members in their training hall. This style looked very impressive, designed for small people and used very effectively for attack and defense.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

It's important to learn about the history of your art--it helps you put it into context. If you'd like another little interesting tidbit, I can provide one:

Prior to it's 600 year trade agreement with China, Okinawa had a similar trade agreement with Indo-Chinese countries (Siam/Thailand, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, etc.). I find it hard to believe that the Okinawans wouldn't have traded martial arts with the people of Indo-China (we know they at least did this with Siam/Thailand) just like they did with the Chinese, and if you look at Silat you can see quite a few similarities between their movements and movements found in Okinawan karate.

Ah, how deep the rabbit hole goes :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I must admit I have never seen silat, arnis, kali or bando done. I don't think we have any here in Wales. The fact that they could have Okinawan cross influence intrigues me though. I will look into the practice in the UK, I'm sure I have seen Escrima mentioned in British Martial Arts Magazines, I'll have a good look.

Look to the far mountain and see all.