• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beginner GI help please?

Malex13

Hello all, I need a gi preference, I ordered the "core jiu jitsu gi" from mma outlet.com, not knowing its a super heavyweight gi.... Is that good for a white belt? I started mma a few months ago, around january. Im a 13 year old girl, 5.6, around 140 pounds, so i ordered a A2. I consider myself strong, as I can pick up and carry my 110 pound friend around, I'm just not sure if that extra weight is going to be harder to move and kick in? My classes do muay Thai jiu jitsu karate Kali c-lot judo and bondo (I think that's how you spell it). Any input is appreciated! Need help A.S.A.P thanks :)

Edited by Malex13

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're doing JJ, so the heavy weight will be useful. Weight is not a problem. Heat might be. I can't speak to that specific gi - I train in a T-shirt, tkd pants or jeans, and work boots.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

First off, welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of martial arts. Don't know what Bondo would be, but the c-lot would be spelled Silat, it's an Indonesian art, quite beautiful. Are you training in a mixed art, or separate arts?

The heavyweight gi is great for Jiu Jutsu, a lightweight Karate gi just would not hold up for grappling purposes. The only problem you may have is that Kali and Silat are weapon based arts and the punyo (butt end) of a stick will tend to catch in the long sleeves. The heat can be a problem, especially since being a girl, you'll have a sportsbra and shirt on under the gi. A heavy gi top over two others layers can be quite warm, so I'd suggest getting a rash guard shirt to wear under it. They're much better at keeping the sweat off of you and staying cool.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

A heavyweight gi is going to work just fine for your training and hold up very well over time, but it is going to be warm! I second MasterPain's suggestion of getting a rashguard to wick sweat away from your body and help you cool off. The use of weapons could also be an issue, but with a little ingenuity you can sew some ties on the inside of the sleeves so you can flip them up and tie them in place when working with weapons.

I'm guessing that "Bondo" is actually Bando, which is Dr. Gyi's fighting method based on Burmese martial arts, if I remember correctly.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The heat can be a problem, especially since being a girl, you'll have a sportsbra and shirt on under the gi.
Always a frustration. I am still trying to figure out a way to achieve some better measures for equality to deal with this problem. No ideas yet. My GM made everyone train in a T-shirt, but that's still one extra layer of clothes for half of the class to deal with.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

We do a lot of Silat, everying is mixed in so we do a lot of defense and some offense. The others wear a standered gi that the program buys for you. But there very cheap. You not nessisarily have to wear a gi.

Probably what we do mostly is muay Thai and Silat.

We do a lot of ground work also