• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Height Advantages in Grappling

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I just had my third lesson Jiu Jitsu, and I am learning some basic throws right now. From my own experience, I can say that the smaller guys had trouble performing a hip-throw with me, because they couldn't get my legs of the ground. I am 6 foot 5, so that was a small advantage for me.

Still, I don't think size matters, nore does weight or strength. If you apply a technique right, everybody will fall or be barred, no matter what size, weight or strength they have.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

The shortest guy I grapple with is the best, his technique is awesome and he has total control over me - he throws me around like a rag doll despite the 40lbs + difference. He can literally roll me around as he wishes to do do.

In comparison to grappling with a taller guy, I feel his weight on me more, but I don't feel him controlling me with technique, he controls me with his weight more - he can hold me in a position, but can't roll me around like the smaller guy.

There's a huge gap between skill, so I don't know if I can make a generalisation off that. Passing a tall guy's guard really is a bitch though, especially when they use the butterfly guard and not the closed guard.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.