• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Height Advantages in Grappling

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I think that it might not seem that way to some advanced practioners, but I think that it is...i am 6 foot 1 in, and I find it difficult to roll around with people who are taller than I...for some people it might be easier to grapple with taller people, because there is more of a chance to grab the arm and arm bar, or leg lock or any of the different finishing moves, but being tall has its advantages and disadvantages...it just depends...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

im 5 2 and think being small has its advantages but also some big big disadvanges. if your short you need to be strong. really strong to roll with the big guys. but its also good coz you can get out of things. you can be very hard to grab. and they've got a bigger arm to bar then you! :)

In Jiu-Jitsu it shouldnt matter how strong you are...or even how tall you are... Helio Gracie is a short man, and he is considered a very skilled practioner...

Technique should be the key...not height, strength, or weight!

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

I don't know about being tall, but I can tell you that I have to practice techniques on people that are shorter and taller than me. I have found that adaptations have to be made for different heights. For instance, some of the neck techniques have you go over the shoulder of a shorter person and go under the arm of the taller person. The results are simular but you get there in a slightly different way. I had a harder time with the taller people at first, but I have learned to adapt to "bring them down to size" by using better technique and attacking balance.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

I think it is better to practise with taller people for ju jitsu and grappling - taller people have bigger limbs which make it harder to handle.

If you can apply techniques on people taller than you - you can do them on people shorter than you by theory.

Also you are more likely to be attacked by someone physically larger than yourself.

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

I dont think that it matters who you train with...I think that grappling is grappling...part of the process is adapting to your surrounding...if you train with a short person, it will be different than with a tall...

That is why people say your training is going to a different level, when you can make those calls in the middle of sparring....without thinking...

EX: going over on short people and under arms for tall people...

but in Jiu-Jitsu, weigh doesnt matter... I will grapple with someone 50 pounds heavier, and gullotine them with out thinking...and I will grapple with someone shorter, and get armbarred...so it doesnt matter to me...

Technique is what it is all about...but without technique, it is strength and weight all the way...

sk0t