• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There is nothiong wrong with learning numerous arts as you then get a bigger picture of what the Martial Arts are. But personally I could never do more than 2 Martial Arts at one time. I have done quite a few arts but I think that you should really only concentrate on one because you have 2 different philosophy coming together and then it just gets all messed up.

True I do kickboxing but thats only for fun. :wink:

The Art I concentrate on is Okinawan Goju Ryu.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think i would have to go with Muay Thai & BJJ with that youve just about got everything you need, stand up fighting and when it goes to the ground uve still got something to offer.

I'm not going to say what i wouldnt practice as it would just open a big can 'o worms!!

pain is temporary, pride is forever!

I think that by doing 2 martial arts that fill in the void you can get the bigger picture of the martial arts...you can become 'well-rounded'...

Ex: ground fighting and stand-up

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

Well, if i take for example.. Shotokan.. then i add Judo and boxing But still call my style "karate" and do kihon and Kata and all the other stuff.. that means my Karate is well rounded... that i accept.

But, most of the Arts were created loong time ago and they split and specialzed in diferent things... i mean, you won't say a person who want to learn grappling " you can take Karate and someday you'll learn some grappling techniques" ... Good, but what if i get into a street confrotation and i need the grappling NOW..??? what will i do if in the 3 plus years of Karate i've not yet being taugh the grappling i need now?..

Most traditional arts train in Non and semi contact.. they aren't prepared to hit and get hit... you can know all the techniques on the world but if you aren't used to be Hit, you'll get scared when you absorb some good shots and you wouldn't know what to do.

That's why i feel Boxing is so important to learn no matter what style you do... you get two things, Better conditioning and the reality of what is being hit and hit back, two things you'll need in self defense. and its not something you need to stay 10 years to learn.

I think it's good to train in full contact, but isn't it dangerous to be doing it all the time? Maybe once a week would be good. :-?

There's a hapkido place I might go to. It seems pretty traditional but they go full contact and sparr a lot, and I think a lot of traditional places do too.

I'll mix Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

That's my favorite combo ;-)

There you have stand up and striking style which is very effective, and realistic, and the best ground fighting system if the fight go to the ground (that is almost true).

I wouldn't mix any of McDojos styles, like Karate or Taekwondo, because they are very unrealistics, and don't work in a real fight.

Valencia - Venezuela.

Personally, I don't think any one style, or art is complete in any way. It doesn't matter how many centuries you spend studying the boundaries of a single art, you'll only see as far as that art allows you.

It works like this: If you study one martial art, then everything you know about the martial arts, about fighting philosophy, about combat theory, and the martial path of life is what that art teaches you. You know martial movement based solely on what patterns that art teaches you. You can not know more outside the boundaries of that art. It is the art you choose to study, and it has limitations. Every art/style has a limitation, a built in boundary. It only teaches the student what it knows, it can do no more.

Now, let's say you study this art 'til the end of your days. Excellent you have learned every square millimeter of the boundaries of that art. You are that art, and that art is not complete. Why? Why isn't complete? Because it is one path of thinking, one single method of martial application, one man's approach to the martial way. This one art only teaches what its arsenal contains. That is why we have different styles, different approaches to the combat situation. Some lack in one area, others lack where some excel.

Style, by the very meaning of the word, limits and confines a marital artist to its boundaries. To say, "I am a karateka, judoka, aikidoka, muay thai fighter, etc." is to say, "my martial soul is contained within these styles, in fact, my very martial essence is molded by these styles. I am the martial artist I am today because of these styles"

No matter how long you follow the path of your one art, you'll be as much as that art allows you to be. Unless, you broaden your horizons and seek additional enlightenment elsewhere. To seek growth to your boundary. Better yet, to seek boundless martial application, to seek stylelessness. I don't think many people like this idea. To them style is everything, it is their id in the martial arts. It defines who they are, it gives them sense of being in the martial arts world. However, that doesn't matter if you are seeking complete martial arts development.

For those who do not have a teacher who can teach them boundaryless martial arts, stylelessness martial application, and the very essence of the martial arts, it is in their best interests to train in as broad a spectrum as possible.

Because if karate is all you do, karate is all you'll ever know. And if one day you are faced with something outside the boundary of your art you will not know what to do, and that may cost you your life.

If you are seeking to become the complete martial artist, then seek to become boundaryless. Seek to learn as much as possible about humanity and combat. Never limit your mind or constrict it to a single path of thought.

Narrowmindedness constricts the growth of the soul, and ultimately the martial artist.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein

LOL is what i say, when somebody tells me that karate and TKD works for a real fight.

tell me something, why have never a Karate or TKD practicioner, have won in a NHB event?

they don't have a chance in a real fight :D

Valencia - Venezuela.