• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think mixing is a good idea. If you're looking at ONE school that does both of these, then that's one thing. But cross-training where you do two styles each at different schools, can be bad. Especially with the extreme competition between schools and the blackbelt community. You may end up training from someone who hates your other instructor.

Also, I get confused easily ;)

If this were a perfect world, however, and I didn't have to worry about that, I'd mix WuShu because of its flashy style and beautiful forms, and TKD, simply because I can't imagine life without it. I might go for BJJ, too, to satisfy my father's need for me to know self-defense. :roll:

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

I agree with monkey...I have been doign the Martial Arts for 15 years and i am 20 now, and I feel as tho I have only scratched the surface in 1 art...

Granted i train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Combat Hapkido and TaeKwonDo.

I started with the TKD, then moved to the Jiu-Jitsu, and now work out in all three during the week...and I feel as tho, being somewhat talented it is easy to work with these 3 because they all compliment eachother in what one style lacks the other 2 can compliment...

But starting with 2, unless you they are opposites will only hunder your production...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

In all honesty I'd go with the two that I'm focusing on now; the style of Aki-jujitsu my sensei is teach (which, as I understand it, isn't like the traditional Aikijujutsu) and Wing Chun. Maybe I'd go for a different style of Kung Fu, but from practicing the two of these I feel complete.

Additionally, by having some (limited) experience in both Shotokan Karate and ITF Taekwon Do I feel that I can recognize the differences in stances and techniques better. Bruce Lee had it right when he started analyzing different styles and fitting the best of them all together.

That's what I did... found a style that integrates a hard style and a soft style. I think that's a good way to go. I don't think I'd pick two hard styles or two soft styles. I also might not pick two styles that contradicted each other (i.e. some styles focus on doing things at 45 degree angles and some styles focus on centerlines) to ease confusion, but if the two contradicted I don't think the same school would be teaching them both anyway. If you go to two different schools you're on your own in that decision.

1st Dan Hapkido

Colored belts in Kempo and Jujitsu

If you stick at any one style long enough then it is complete.

I would never choose two styles as you water them both down, and this is reflected when perhaps you yourself eventually teach.

To be honest I think that Bruce Lee could have not been more wrong. But thats just me.

Take Care

Mixing?? maybe a grappling Specialized art with a Striking art works..

I personally think that no matter how long you study a single Art. Its NOT complete.. one source CAN'T have all the answers.

If a person feels happy doing one thing without mixing, okay. but i feel if you can at least do two arts (a striking art and a grappling art) you'll be more rounded.

I have watched some grappling in Karate Katas, but that grappling isn't specialized and as good as the one you'll find i Judo... Judo have atemi (striking) but that isn't as good as Karate strikes.

Thats your opiniuon Submission. I respect that. But systems are complete whether you like it or not.

There are some uncomplete ones like Kendo, Iaido, but then they are swords arts. BJJ is TOO ground orintated, although very cool, judo does not cover everything, but then it was not supposed to.

But most of the traditional arts, Wing Chun, Shaolin, Tai Chi, Ba Gua, Hsing I, Jujutsu, Aikido, Aikijutsu, Shotokan, Wado Ryu, Tang Soo Do and TKD. These are complete systems. Created for defence. So therefore catering for all situations. But they are ony any good if you have a good Sensei, that knows what he/she is doing.

The problem is that in a lot of cases some guys has come along, learn a small part of one art, then basically tried to teach it as if he knows the lot. This can give the impression that no art is complete. Mcdojo's can be a real problem.

"I have watched some grappling in Karate Katas, but that grappling isn't specialized and as good as the one you'll find i Judo... Judo have atemi (striking) but that isn't as good as Karate strikes."

An art is as good or bad, complete or imcomplete as YOU make it. I am aware that some arts do things differently than others, perhaps even more refined than others. But that does not make them incomplete.

Well, thats what I think anyway.

Take Care

PS.

Xtreme Fury

I can handle myself in both standing and on ground. :) That is the wonder of a complete art.

Cheers