• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

seiyunchin goju grading?

SolidAir

Hi all

This is my first post am a green belt at the moment i graded saifa for it and i will be grading seiyunchin with my next grade im just not sure what belt i would be?

My sensei's have been teaching for nearly 40 YEARS ! and have been through many organization's.

So what is seiyunchin with bunkai in your schools ?

Move this to grading/promotions etc.. please newbe lol

Be like water !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe that depends on your organization and dojo. If you are a green belt and just had to demonstrate Saifa for that ranking, I would guess that you would be testing for a brown belt ranking--maybe sankyu (3rd kyu)--when you test with Seiunchin. I had to learn and demonstrate Seiunchin to earn my sankyu rank in Shuri-Ryu, but since it wasn't Goju-Ryu I can't say how accurate that is. You would be best served by asking your sensei :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I would ask but i don't want to appear to be pushy/overeager if you know what i mean?

Well, you could just ask what kyu rank you currently are--that would tell you what the next rank you will be testing for is. Honestly, that is more useful than the belt color until you get to shodan, because everybody arranges the colors differently until then, but they typically have a similar kyu level structure.

Of course, rank isn't actually all that important unless you want to teach someday and have "credentials" so you don't really need to know what rank you will test for next. Just keep training and you will get there eventually, wherever "there" happens to be :)

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for a written syllabus with the ranking requirements and a general time frame associated with each.

I would ask but i don't want to appear to be pushy/overeager if you know what i mean?

Leaves fall.

Seiunchin Kata over laps several grades within the Goju ryu dojo i am a member of. First grading is just the kata, next kata and it's bunkai.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Well im 6th kyu at the moment, and the organization we are with does not grade the same as we do at the dojo.

We start at 10th kyu (white) and the organization starts adults at 8th?

Sensei does not like to do half grades ether where you get a stripe for kata etc..

Thinks that's just a money making exercise .

Be like water !

It's not the question that one should fear, it's the manner of how one asks. So, ask away.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Hi SolidAir, I'm at Sensei Tony Christian's Dojo in Wigan, Lancs. We're under the B.K.A. , but independent , just a few clubs attached run by some his students. We have an unorthodox approach to Goju Ryu.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.