• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

can I use the same belt after a long break from training?

backfromthebrink

About 10 years ago (age 24), I was a purple belt in Kenpo - with blue tips and about to take my blue belt. I then left the area where that club was based and moved away, and there were no Kenpo clubs where I moved to.

10 years later (34) and I am moving back to where I grew up, and I'd like to re-join the Kenpo club there. I'm sure it will take me a while to remember all the forms and techniques, but can I put my purple belt on again and go along?

I mean, they're not going to demote me back to white belt - I'd hope - that would be so depressing. But I feel a bit self-conscious turning up with a purple belt on and being unable to remember much of the material…! And having lower ranking belts behind me, knowing more of it!

I still have the little grading book which the instructor signs when you pass a belt, so I can 'prove' that I am really a purple belt.

I thought about emailing the instructor to ask, but I don't even know how to ask the question… 'Is it ok if I still wear my purple belt?'…? Has anyone else taken a long break from training and then gone back, and did you turn up in the same belt you left in?!

I'd spend a couple of weeks on a crash course to get some of those skills back before putting on the same belt. Some instructors are too afraid to hurt your feelings and will allow you to automatically retain your belt.

Next thing you know, it's open target season on you during Kumite by training partners who don't know you well enough to pull their strikes. Sure it's the instructor's fault, but does it matter when you're the one with the meat pack on your eye afterwards?

So start with white. In a couple of weeks, when your skills improve and people get to know you better, ask your instructor to bump you up.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In our dojo you never lose your rank. Anyone returning after a prolonged absence is required to wear no belt. They may don their belt when they have been judged to have regained the skills commensurate with their rank. They are afforded all the privilege of their rank but during class formations they are positioned behind the lowest ranking white belt. They are not utilized to teach any students. We have had numerous instances of this, several involved 20 year absences.

About 10 years ago (age 24), I was a purple belt in Kenpo - with blue tips and about to take my blue belt. I then left the area where that club was based and moved away, and there were no Kenpo clubs where I moved to.

10 years later (34) and I am moving back to where I grew up, and I'd like to re-join the Kenpo club there. I'm sure it will take me a while to remember all the forms and techniques, but can I put my purple belt on again and go along?

I can say in my club the answer would be no! You need to relearn the style itself. Its like if a heart surgeon goes on a lecture tour for 10 years and does not pick up a surgical tool and then says "well, Im back...give me a chest to cut open"....NO WAY MAN! You have to relearn, and seeing as though its been a decade...it may take you a year to relearn. In my club you wear a white belt till you are back up to snuff.

I mean, they're not going to demote me back to white belt - I'd hope - that would be so depressing. But I feel a bit self-conscious turning up with a purple belt on and being unable to remember much of the material…! And having lower ranking belts behind me, knowing more of it!

You wont be demoted, its a sign of respect to those that have continued to train, those that have been training and know the stuff you forgot. But you sit with the Purple belts in my club even if you are wearing a white belt. its actually a great sign of respect that you do this, or ask to do this. And it could save you explaining why your Kumite is rusty and you can not help a lower belt with their forms ext.

I still have the little grading book which the instructor signs when you pass a belt, so I can 'prove' that I am really a purple belt.

And yes, ten years ago you did pass that test and you DID know that stuff, but now...not so much. Again, the book simply shows that you went through the hoops years ago, but left. Now unless you took up a similar style or stayed active at home...you are not the same person you were when you had those books signed and you dont remember a darn thing about the stuff you had to learn...so do yourself a favor and at least pack a white belt.

I thought about emailing the instructor to ask, but I don't even know how to ask the question… 'Is it ok if I still wear my purple belt?'…? Has anyone else taken a long break from training and then gone back, and did you turn up in the same belt you left in?!

Email the instructor or give him a call. We are a really traditional Japanese based club and probably have different rules than a Kempo club would have. But also keep in mind, it should not be a demotion, just a visual reprosentation of your current level. If he says " no you start from white and Test back up to purple....paying testing fees all the way up" I would walk away or at least complain significantly.

Our rules are you are still a purple belt, dont have to grade back up to that level, but wear a white belt. The belt color changes, your Kyu does not. Then when you are ready we just slip your old purple belt back on.

Just my two cents

J

Even monkeys fall from trees

I'm not one that believes 'once a black belt always a black belt'. If you haven't maintained your skills or kata, then you are a white belt that used to be a XX belt. If you find the thought of looking like an inept XX belt - then it's ego asking for permission for the XX belt.

I've been to schools where the teacher said, 'Wear your earned belt', but other students almost never take it well. Better to show humility, wear the white belt, and let the sensei make introductions.

Leaves fall.

Thanks, I guess there is part of me that doesn't want to tempt fate and ask - in case he says 'yes, put a white belt on!'.

But then it would be even more embarrassing if I didn't ask and then he had to tell me to… :brow:

I wouldn't worry about tempting fate. You're probably not the first person to return to him. At some point, he probably established a policy on this. You just need to find out what it is.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

You will probably be tested to see where you fit in. Usually when a student has previous experience and comes to a new dojo they test them to see what rank they should have.

Martial Arts is not just a hobby, Its a way of life!!!